Enupnion Forum Index Enupnion
Keep on Dreaming
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Join! (free) Join! (free)
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Sinister Spire
Page 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Enupnion Forum Index -> The Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Please Register and Login to this forum to stop seeing this advertising.






Posted:     Post subject:

Back to top
wxdruid
Beloved Druid


Joined: 02 Jun 2007
Posts: 25232


Location: somewhere...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: The Sinister Spire  Reply with quote

Heggle
Regak
Rasphiak
Elias-dead
Damian

Each of you has been specially selected for your talents and abilities....  You don't remember the actual discussion but you do remember the chance for glory, the chance to prove yourself, the chance to rid the world of a few more undead, the chance to find wonderous treasure that makes the payment of 500 gp (each) seem like a pittance.  The chance to retrieve a king's bones and fulfill an ancient prophecy...glory, honor, treasure, and freedom from oaths to find the bones.  

Odd that, you remember swearing that you would find them...it seemed natural at the time, you solemnly swore to find and return them to the inn where you were last night in Kingsholm.

That meeting occurred last night....this morning you woke up, dazed and thinking about your personal reasons why you must go find the bones.  You consider your companions in the early morning light before setting off.... you met them last night, late, after accepting the assignment.  

You get to know them a little on the road as you discuss your quest.  Enough to learn personalities....

Now you're in front of a slanting hole in ground, looking around at your companions and wondering who's going in first.....will it be the irritating gnome?  Or perhaps the dwarf?  After all he's a natural in underground tunnels.  Or even the rogue....a trap just inside?

((describe yourself and whatnot and then do whatever you're going to do.  I'd prefer to keep OOC out of this thread in in the other thread.))

Quote:
Background from your meeting in the inn....

A yuan-ti pureblood sorcerer named Xeron was part of an evil consortium known as the Vanguard of Sertrous.  The Vanguard sent him in search of the tomb of the forgotten king, hoping he would recover the magic items said to lie with the king's body, as well as the king's bones.  Xeron and his underlings succeeded, but their activities attracted to much attention.

A day ago, a party of adventurers confronted Xeron, defeating the sorcerer and his band.  A couple of the robbers had moved through a small hole in the floor of the tomb, carrying with them the magic items and the bones.  Where the opening leads, none now living know.  The situation would be bad enough simply because the items stolen from the tomb should not be allowed to fall into the wrong hands.  However the actuality is worse.

Prophecy has it that the forgotten king might return from beyond death to aid the realm in its most desperate hour.  However, if his bones are not recovered, the prophecy might never be fulfilled.  Worse, the prediction could be perverted to evil ends.  

Your contact knew where to begin and if you delay, you'll never find bones, but you have the talent, the knowledge and the ability.

_________________
Inner Circle


Last edited by wxdruid on Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:02 pm; edited 6 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vael
Endless Fount of Characters


Joined: 02 Jun 2007
Posts: 38730



PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasphiak shrugs his pack a little higher on his shoulder and narrows his vivid green eyes as he looks around cautiously and suspiciously. He's been like that the entire way- watchful. Perhaps even paranoid...
He is, however, an excellent speaker. He's told a number of tales of his adventures on the way, though one would be hard pressed to figure out if he is telling the truth, or making it up as he goes. Certainly they're fantastic- but they're also very real.
He's avoided any mention of how he got his powers, or any of his personal convictions or feelings, but a keen observer might realize that something is very troubling to him...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
El Jaspero
The Pirate King


Joined: 05 Jun 2007
Posts: 582


Location: Indianapolis, IN

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A short, fat gnome peers into the hole and hitches up his bright yellow pants. He scratches his nose, large even for a gnome's, then mutters something likely vulgar in Gnomish before pulling a half-smoked cigar out of his shirt pocket.

"Well?" he asks in a voice somehow both gravelly and nasal. "Which one of you fearless young souls is going to get off his duff and find out what's down there?"

He fires up his cigar and looks around impatiently.
_________________
The Town College of Arms is open again!

Inner Circle

Spoiler:

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Draken Frosthand
Worst Case Scenario


Joined: 10 Oct 2007
Posts: 4406


Location: Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damian adjusts a pair of glasses on his face with his left hand, and answers to the gnome.

I think either our dwarf friend or the elf should lead the way, we don't know what kind of creatures and traps might be down there.

Yet.


He chuckles silently.
_________________
Character Directory

It has been therefore determined that I have nothing worthy of note to write here. Go your way, waste not your precious time reading these unenlightening lines.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Kyrian
Resident Party Animal


Joined: 04 Jun 2007
Posts: 45806


Location: A state of mind like no other...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elias studies the hole with his blue eyes. He's not really paying attention to the others at the moment, just looking at the hole. He wonders if there's a trap, but doesn't check it just yet. In fact...he figures it may be kinda funny to let one of the others go inside first, especially if there's a trap.

But he doesn't. He needed this group. To get to his money.

He looks up from the hole and studies each of his companions.
_________________
Click the Dragons!

Stories
Deviant
Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sophistemon
A God am I


Joined: 02 Jun 2007
Posts: 6057


Location: Terra Incognita

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regak glances at the elf and tugs his thick red beard thoughtfully before answering. His eyes wander from one member of the hastily-assembled party to the other as he speaks. His voice is deep, and rough, and booming, like cracking stone or a hammer-struck anvil. It perfectly suits his stocky, heavily-muscled body. He truly is the epitome of dwarfdom.

"I grew up underground. Of course, our tunnels were nicer than this. Smooth walls, decorated with a millennium's worth of carving and plated in silver... Not some ragged ditch."

He shrugs and uses an armored hand to adjust his ram-horned helmet.

"I'll lead the way."

One human, he thinks, holds himself strangely. The gnome's a ponce. The elf's got the look of a back-stabber. And the other human seems... almost trustworthy.

"What's the marching order?"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Draken Frosthand
Worst Case Scenario


Joined: 10 Oct 2007
Posts: 4406


Location: Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best order would be you (Regak), follwed by Elias, who could help you with any dangerous creatures that might cross our path, as well as searching for any traps and hidden passages, then I will follow ready to help you if needed, then our arcane friend and finally the gnome can be in the hear, protecting our backs.

As he speaks, he points towards each other and takes out his prayerbook and considers using a minor divination to find out about dangers ahead.

(Sorry, for some reason I was thinking it was "Silas")
_________________
Character Directory

It has been therefore determined that I have nothing worthy of note to write here. Go your way, waste not your precious time reading these unenlightening lines.


Last edited by Draken Frosthand on Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Kyrian
Resident Party Animal


Joined: 04 Jun 2007
Posts: 45806


Location: A state of mind like no other...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elias listens to them carefully, not bothering to correct the man on his name. It was probably better if they started calling him something different anyways...
_________________
Click the Dragons!

Stories
Deviant
Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vael
Endless Fount of Characters


Joined: 02 Jun 2007
Posts: 38730



PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasphiak shrugs.
It might hinder my ability to line up a good shot if I'm in the back, but hopefully the passage will widen later on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sophistemon
A God am I


Joined: 02 Jun 2007
Posts: 6057


Location: Terra Incognita

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regak nods, once, to Damian.

"Good thinking, human. I thought the same."

He walks (back straight and posture perfect) to the entrance of the tunnel and peers inside, tugging his beard with an armored hand. His pupils dialate as his darkvision activates itself through instinct, allowing him to see just about 60 feet into the blackness. He squints and looks for any indication that the tunnel might widen later on, as well as any other information that he can gather at a glance*.

"Elf," he says, glancing at Elias out of the corner of his eye, "come here and check the entrance. I don't want this tunnel collapsing on us the moment we step inside. Traps, too. Can't be careful enough these days."

((* Need me to make a roll? He's just looking around at the tunnel, is all. Does it widen? Is it natural? He's just trying to get a general feel of it.))
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wxdruid
Beloved Druid


Joined: 02 Jun 2007
Posts: 25232


Location: somewhere...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regak is a dwarf.....which explains a lot.

Lightless space gives way to Regak's darkvision, revealing a restricted, steeply sloping tunnel that is maybe 5 feet wide and 7 feet tall. Posts of green wood hold up the walls. The air is damp, stinking with rot. If the slope holds, the tunnel likely surfaces hundreds of yards to the north, though how much farther it penetrates to the south is lost to the darkness.
_________________
Inner Circle
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vael
Endless Fount of Characters


Joined: 02 Jun 2007
Posts: 38730



PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasphiak peers over Regak's shoulder, activating his warlock power See the Unseen to look into the darkness after him.
Doesn't look especially inviting, now does it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sophistemon
A God am I


Joined: 02 Jun 2007
Posts: 6057


Location: Terra Incognita

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Dug fast," he says, "picks and magic. A rough, shoddy job; done in a month. Maybe a little more, maybe a little less." Something about the walls, and the way that the wooden posts hold them up, is familiar. He runs it through his head. "Ah. It's an exploratory shaft. A really bad one, but that's what it is. They were looking to mine nearby."

He looks back to his companions and his pupils shrink to their normal size.

"It's cramped; only about five feet wide and seven tall for as far as I could see. It slopes, too, so we'd best watch our step. It looks like it surfaces again a few hundred yards to the North, but I can't promise that it does. I couldn't see too far South."

He turns his gaze to Rasphiak and nods, dourly.

"No. Not inviting at all. Crude work. Shoddy work. They took no pride in it."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kyrian
Resident Party Animal


Joined: 04 Jun 2007
Posts: 45806


Location: A state of mind like no other...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elias steps back over to the hole and peers in, searching for traps.

Entrance trap check (1d20+10=29)
_________________
Click the Dragons!

Stories
Deviant
Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wxdruid
Beloved Druid


Joined: 02 Jun 2007
Posts: 25232


Location: somewhere...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hole is at it appears to be, no traps...

Do you all go in? With the suggested order?
_________________
Inner Circle
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sophistemon
A God am I


Joined: 02 Jun 2007
Posts: 6057


Location: Terra Incognita

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regak looks at Elias.

"Find anything, elf?"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kyrian
Resident Party Animal


Joined: 04 Jun 2007
Posts: 45806


Location: A state of mind like no other...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks clear.
_________________
Click the Dragons!

Stories
Deviant
Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Draken Frosthand
Worst Case Scenario


Joined: 10 Oct 2007
Posts: 4406


Location: Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this case let's go, we must finish our mission as quick as possible.

Damian still waits for the elf and the dwarf to go.
_________________
Character Directory

It has been therefore determined that I have nothing worthy of note to write here. Go your way, waste not your precious time reading these unenlightening lines.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Sophistemon
A God am I


Joined: 02 Jun 2007
Posts: 6057


Location: Terra Incognita

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dwarf nods, brusquely, and steps inside. His pupils dilate as he walks in far enough for the others to follow him into the narrow passage. He shakes his head.

Such shoddy, shoddy work, he thinks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wxdruid
Beloved Druid


Joined: 02 Jun 2007
Posts: 25232


Location: somewhere...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you walk down the tunnel....Regak, Elias, Damian, Rasphiak and Heggle the gnome is last.

As you descend the steep passage (about 45 degrees), you find one fissure that probably leads back to the surface, otherwise it keeps descending until the air seems to pulse ahead, bringing with it a scent like that which precedes a storm.

((everyone can make a Spellcraft or INT check))

As you come to the bottom, the roughly hewn tunnel widens into a terrace, at least 20 feet wide and long, with a ceiling rising 8 or 10 feet. The porch has no far wall, instead opening into a great, echoing hollow. This close to the cavernous rift, the air seems charged as if a great storm is imminent. The walls of the opening ascend and descend, moving closer together as they rise into darkness, forming a wider space as they go downward. Two humanoid forms lie unmoving near where the terrace drops off into the hollow.

((It's basically a ledge and you have to either go up? to the ceiling? or down to the bottom....it will require a way to get down or up, no ladders here))
_________________
Inner Circle
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vael
Endless Fount of Characters


Joined: 02 Jun 2007
Posts: 38730



PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spellcraft: 1d20+6=14

Rasphiak peers down at the two presumably dead bodies, wondering if there was anything good to loot off of them...
Search: 1d20+2=19


Last edited by Vael on Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Draken Frosthand
Worst Case Scenario


Joined: 10 Oct 2007
Posts: 4406


Location: Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spellcraft: 1d20+11=23

Damian stands idly arround.

Perheps an Augur could tell us the best choice.
_________________
Character Directory

It has been therefore determined that I have nothing worthy of note to write here. Go your way, waste not your precious time reading these unenlightening lines.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Kyrian
Resident Party Animal


Joined: 04 Jun 2007
Posts: 45806


Location: A state of mind like no other...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Int (1d20+2=18)

Elias starts idly searching the area, for traps and anything else of possible value.

Search (1d20+10=27)
_________________
Click the Dragons!

Stories
Deviant
Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sophistemon
A God am I


Joined: 02 Jun 2007
Posts: 6057


Location: Terra Incognita

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regak looks around, attempting to discern the origin of the strange, almost ozone-like smell that emerges from the cavern. His skin prickles like skin tends to do when the body realizes that something strange is afoot.

"What is that?" he asks. "Does anyone else feel that?"

Intelligence Check: 1d20+0=3

He knows next to nothing of magic; that skill is rare among his people and even rarer in his family line. He has a distant cousin that can turn people's hair green, but that was about it.

He shakes his head and decides to not worry about it. There were two (three? Does the gnome count?) practitioners of magic with him. If this smell, this feeling, were magical in origin... his companions would figure it out. He turns his attentions to the 'humanoid figures' near where the terrace drops off into the hollow.

I wonder what happened to to them, he thinks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
El Jaspero
The Pirate King


Joined: 05 Jun 2007
Posts: 582


Location: Indianapolis, IN

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

((Int check: 20))

Heggle sniffs the air suspiciously. "Ugh. Which one of you didn't bathe this morning?"


_________________
The Town College of Arms is open again!

Inner Circle

Spoiler:

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Enupnion Forum Index -> The Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 1 of 26

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Card File  Gallery  Forum Archive
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum