Enupnion Forum Index Enupnion
Keep on Dreaming
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Join! (free) Join! (free)
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Citadel of the Demon Prince
Page 1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Enupnion Forum Index -> The Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Deadly
Town Director


Joined: 02 Jun 2007
Posts: 14176



PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Citadel of the Demon Prince  Reply with quote

At long last, after weeks of tedious investigation and wearisome travel through empty fields and burnt down villages, you have reached the small hamlet of Woodroe. Little more than eight or so small buildings surrounded by the wild trees of Rawlinswood to the south, open hills to the west and north, and the peaks of the Giantspire mountains rising to the east, this tiny settlement has seen much better days.

Like all other villages in the surrounding region, this one has been burnt down, only a few walls and some charred rubble left under a thin covering of gray snow is visible. A bleak wind from the north howls relentlessly over the desolate and broken remains of the hamlet, but otherwise the place is eerily silent and devoid of life.

To the south, surrounded by a few trees on the edge of the forest, the remains of what appears to be a small shrine stands, razed and burnt to the ground like the rest of the place.

Barely visible on a low hill in the distance to the north-east, looms the outer walls of the abbey where the demon cult is rumored to live. Even from this distance it seems dark and foreboding.

You know almost nothing of the cult who claims this forsaken place as their own and razed the surrounding lands, but that matters little. You know that they worship the beasts of the Abyss, you know that they have claimed this place as their own, and you know that they have stolen away the men, women and children of every nearby village. You know these things, and that is enough.

((You all arrive individually from the west, except for Chilli who comes from the south.

You're the only ones here, it seems, so it's up to you to find together and decide what to do based on your individual backgrounds and knowledge.))
_________________
Character Descriptions | deviantArt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Artemis
Drow Queen


Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 20905


Location: Florida, USA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A black haired Elf rides slowly in from the west, atop a chestnut colored horse. His grey eyes scan the horizon, taking in the scene. How many had lived here? How many were now dead at the hands of these demon-worshippers. When the abbey on the hill comes into view he brings his horse to a halt and scowls. When he had left Heliogabalus, his mind has been on profit, but after passing so many ruined villages, his thoughts were on revenge.
_________________
A single dagger in the night is worth a thousand swords at dawn.

Grab some tugboats. We're going iceberg wrangling. - Destro Yersul

Characters!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
The Chilli God
Orc in Town


Joined: 02 Jun 2007
Posts: 2850


Location: Ignorance.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walking into the area from the south comes a stern-faced man with hair the color of autumn leaves, braided into two tails that fall over his chest. He wears armor mostly made from the feathers of owls, making him seem almost like one of the birds himself, and sitting on his shoulder with its eyes shut is an actual owl.

The man, moving swiftly through the forests as though he were part of them, pauses at the remains of the shrine. He studies the shrine with an expression on his face that would remind someone of a member of the town guard out on patrol, though for a moment the eyes betray his sadness, his anger. He looks around briefly, surveying the damage that the environment around the shrine has taken, before uttering a quick prayer and continuing on his way. The man doesn't even bother to scan the area for clues as to who did this - he already has a strong feeling as to the answer.

Upon spotting a figure on a horse, the man quickly and quietly hides himself in the foliage just on the outskirts of the southern forests, not wanting to be himself seen until he can judge if this other person is friend or foe.
_________________
The Chilli God Has Spoken.
Characters & Art
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Vael
Endless Fount of Characters


Joined: 02 Jun 2007
Posts: 38730



PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acantha strides openly and boldly into the area, her breastplate, sword, and holy symbol of Tyr gleaming in the light, each of them polished to a mirror shine. Her golden hair is kept trimmed and slightly in the range between medium and short length, so as not to get in her way, while her light, sky blue eyes are somehow harder than their nature would imply. In fact, that seems to be a good, overall description of her- innately beautiful and soft, but trimmed and disciplined, hardened by whatever life she had lived. Her rigid stance and neat, efficient pace speak of military training.
However, that doesn't seem to be all there is to her. Indeed, that seems to be only one aspect that points to an overall purpose. The holy symbol of Tyr helps tell the story, a life of devotion to a god of war would instill such discipline as she has, her skill with the sword. Beyond that, there is almost an aura about her, a hint of a higher purpose, a divine influence and will. Something that drives her besides just herself.
Her eyes narrow at the sight of the village, and particularly the shrine. She tenses and seems to be fueled by a contained, directed rage as she picks up her pace- but almost immediately slows again as she sees the horse. What else would someone be doing here? There were only two answers that immediately sprung to mind...
She looks at the elf, moving into his line of sight, and towards his path.
Hail, traveler. What brings you to this place?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Artemis
Drow Queen


Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 20905


Location: Florida, USA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Elf looks down at Acantha. "I heard news of cultists causing trouble in this region. This is far worse than I first imagined."
_________________
A single dagger in the night is worth a thousand swords at dawn.

Grab some tugboats. We're going iceberg wrangling. - Destro Yersul

Characters!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Terumitsu
Pretty Evil


Joined: 01 Nov 2007
Posts: 3224


Location: In the box seats of course.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A half-elf was not far behind. Though, he was moving at a faster pace what with the rather odd appering steed that he was riding on. "I still don't know why I let you cast the mount. You always do something like this." A voice said, though his lips didn't seem to move. "Cresilt, Cresilt, Cresilt... You will never get any recognition if you don't reach for it."
"Still... Plaid? Boccob's boots, you can be a strange one!"

And riding in on a distinctly plaid Phantom Steed, the Ultimate Magus (Magi?) made his apperance. Of course, the fact that he was not only riding side saddle but also reading his spell book and arguing with himself as the contryside passed by at a very speedy rate. He wasn't making it any better for himself as he began to argue magical theory as he reviewed Web.
You know... If you would just accept that the inter-planar interactions on the nights of the waxing equinox result in a higher concentrations of Silphic and Salaman wave-forms than those of the-"
"I will not! That is a direct violation of Etereskia's 43rd law of elemental balence. 'Each pure souce of power stays pure in it's natural state unless forced to mix by an outside will.' You know that!"
"And I say that is just a fragment of what it should be! There are exceptions! You know that! What about those mesurments that we took? Those prove my theory!"
"That was an erroneous reading. The embers of the fire were stoked by the wind. If you so need it we can stay up all night again next year. I bet that the readings shall be in accordance to the laws. "
"It was not erroneous! The fire was-"
"Hold up you two, there are people gathered there... Don't seem to be demon worshippers..."

And the strange steed with it's strange rider who had a perfectly normal looking calico kitten peeking out of his front vest pocket came to a stop. He looked at the two others with his mismached blue and green eyes as he pushed his windswept and lightly unkempt brown hair out of his eyes. He also had to do something about that scraggly beard. Sure it looked nice when he trimmed it but he didn't like how it hid his chin like that. Oh well.. He supposed that he could deal with it later. He had been traveling for a while and all.

Munching on a bit of granola and a few raisins from his travel rations, He approached the little group at a slowing pace and scratched at his chin. "Halloo there!" He called out as wasn't quite near enough to them for regular speech yet.
_________________
"[42= The number of socks the universe is processing at any given time]" -wingrae
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Vael
Endless Fount of Characters


Joined: 02 Jun 2007
Posts: 38730



PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sense Motive: 1d20+9=23
Because trusting people just isn't what Acantha does!
She also blatantly casts Detect Evil, concentrating on the elf.

And what business do you have here? What do you know of the cultists?
She stares up at him, her voice hard and quite unyielding, then quickly sweeps her head to scan the half elf as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kyrian
Resident Party Animal


Joined: 04 Jun 2007
Posts: 45806


Location: A state of mind like no other...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karil crested the hill and looked at the hamlet before him. He heard the elf and Acantha, but payed them no mind. All he prayed was that this place would put him back on the right track.
_________________
Click the Dragons!

Stories
Deviant
Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Artemis
Drow Queen


Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 20905


Location: Florida, USA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spellcheck:1d20+14=30 And he is decidedly Not Evil.

Recognizing what Arcantha has cast, the Elf scowls. How dare she even consider him being one of these foul cultists! "No more than that, and my business is my own." He then turns a cold glare at the approaching half-elf.
_________________
A single dagger in the night is worth a thousand swords at dawn.

Grab some tugboats. We're going iceberg wrangling. - Destro Yersul

Characters!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Vael
Endless Fount of Characters


Joined: 02 Jun 2007
Posts: 38730



PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you hunting down these cultists?
Acantha pursues the question, still watching the elf with narrowed eyes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Artemis
Drow Queen


Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 20905


Location: Florida, USA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Yes." He replies tersely.
_________________
A single dagger in the night is worth a thousand swords at dawn.

Grab some tugboats. We're going iceberg wrangling. - Destro Yersul

Characters!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Terumitsu
Pretty Evil


Joined: 01 Nov 2007
Posts: 3224


Location: In the box seats of course.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The half-elf also shows up as Not Evil.

The cold glare was quite enough to stop him though. "Seems like someone isn't the friendly type." The kitten mewed before retreating back into the vest pocket. Anorin and Cresilt had to agree. Then, rather suddenly, the spell duration for the plaid steed gave out and the magus fell rather solidly on his rump.
"Ow!"
"Ow!"
The sound was simultainous so it would be hard to tell if it had been one voice or two. Not that anyone would be checking.. hopefully....
_________________
"[42= The number of socks the universe is processing at any given time]" -wingrae
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Artemis
Drow Queen


Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 20905


Location: Florida, USA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Elf shakes his head at the mage.
_________________
A single dagger in the night is worth a thousand swords at dawn.

Grab some tugboats. We're going iceberg wrangling. - Destro Yersul

Characters!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Vael
Endless Fount of Characters


Joined: 02 Jun 2007
Posts: 38730



PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acantha looks them both over a bit more, then decides to check out the shrine, so she heads over to it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Terumitsu
Pretty Evil


Joined: 01 Nov 2007
Posts: 3224


Location: In the box seats of course.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picking himself up and acting like he had ment to do that, the magus strode over and took a glance at the snow and rubble before letting his eyes glance about to the Elf. It wasn't staring but nor was it just a glance. Perhaps it was just one of those "Observation" looks that really don't mean much other than the fact that someone looked a little interesting. The kitten popped her head out of the pocket again and was rewarded with a little absent minded petting. She, of course, purred in that light tone and closed her eyes. Looking back at the elf, the mage decided to try a venue. "Might you also be in search of these 'Demon Acolytes'? I am quite certain it was them. This barren waste seems to be their signature..." The elf personality decided to give it a go as the human side would just screw things up.
_________________
"[42= The number of socks the universe is processing at any given time]" -wingrae
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Artemis
Drow Queen


Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 20905


Location: Florida, USA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Elf's disgruntled expression softens as Acantha walks away, at least this Half-elf had some sense of manners. "Yes. It is rumored they are based out of that abbey, there." He points towards the building in the distance.
_________________
A single dagger in the night is worth a thousand swords at dawn.

Grab some tugboats. We're going iceberg wrangling. - Destro Yersul

Characters!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Kyrian
Resident Party Animal


Joined: 04 Jun 2007
Posts: 45806


Location: A state of mind like no other...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karil watched the others as he made his way closer to the hamlet.
_________________
Click the Dragons!

Stories
Deviant
Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Deadly
Town Director


Joined: 02 Jun 2007
Posts: 14176



PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acantha and Chaer, who are both close to the shrine, can see that it appears to have been desecrated more than once. Now, all that remains of the small shrine is a burnt-out shell standing over a small, crude table of pitted wood. A few small offerings have been heaped upon the table, mostly overripe fruit, a few green pinecones, and handfuls of grass seed, all placed there recently.

You both notice a few small footprints in the snow around the shrine as well.
_________________
Character Descriptions | deviantArt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Destro Yersul
The Troutbearer


Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 6378


Location: Sector ZZ9 plural Z alpha

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deckard saw the village as soon as he came over the last western hill. Nothing new there.. he muttered, and kept walking. He was still fairly young, not yet 30, but he looked older. Perhaps it was the scars, perhaps it was the nose that looked as though it had been broken at least once, or perhaps it was the eyepatch covering his right eye. Whatever the reason, the years he did have had certainly allowed him to acquire some interesting apparel. His cloak, bracers and boots had been made from the skin of a red dragon, and the bow across his back looked as though it had been carved from a large bone.

As he neared the village, he was also able to see the small gathering of people. That, on the other hand... He shrugged. There was a cult up here, and judging from the burnt villages and general desolation, they weren't interested in making friends.
_________________
Avatar by Vael
Trout by Vael
Cookies: 31

My Characters
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Kyrian
Resident Party Animal


Joined: 04 Jun 2007
Posts: 45806


Location: A state of mind like no other...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karil joined the two over at the shrine, looking it over in detail.
_________________
Click the Dragons!

Stories
Deviant
Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vael
Endless Fount of Characters


Joined: 02 Jun 2007
Posts: 38730



PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acantha makes a brief sweep of the room (Take ten on a search check for 10 total) and looks for any signs of who the shrine was dedicated to.
Knowledge Religion: 1d20+15=30
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Deadly
Town Director


Joined: 02 Jun 2007
Posts: 14176



PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karil sees the same as the other two.

After a bit of searching and going through her knowledge of other gods, Acantha concludes that the shrine is dedicated to Baervan Wildwanderer, gnomish god of nature and travels. It's the only thing in the area that's seen any restoration, however little, so it's tender must be quite dedicated, or mad.
_________________
Character Descriptions | deviantArt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
The Chilli God
Orc in Town


Joined: 02 Jun 2007
Posts: 2850


Location: Ignorance.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Says a voice from behind Acantha, deep and without much emotion, "This is only more evidence that leads to the same conclusion. There are no just gods that would accept this sacrilege among their followers, no natural force that deserves influence in Faerūn that would see its subjects do this."

Chaer has come out from hiding with no weapon drawn (with a sling and a small totem the only items on him that could be considered weapons) and with arms held out in a non-threatening gesture. A crude wooden holy symbol of an oak leaf hangs from his neck along with a chained pearl and a sprig of mistletoe, and a headband lines his forehead with that same oak leaf engraving on it. "But it happens. It has happened before. We had driven them out then. And, if need be, we'll drive them out again." Chaer's words lack conviction, however.

Prepared Spells:
Spoiler:


0 lvl: Create Water (PH215), Dawn (SC59), Detect Magic x2 (PH 219), Detect Poison (PH 219), Purify Food and Drink (PH267)
1st lvl: Charm Animal (PH208), Faerie Fire (PH229), Longstrider (PH249), Magic Stone x2 (PH251), Obscuring Mist (PH258), Wood Wose (SC242) + Entangle (PH227)
2nd lvl: Gust of Wind (PH238), Heat Metal (PH239), Splinterbolt (SC203), Tree Shape (PH296), Warp Wood (PH 300), Wood Shape (PH303) + Barkskin (PH203)
3rd lvl: Cure Moderate Wounds (PH216), Daylight (PH216), Greater Magic Fang (PH250), Spike Growth (PH283), Vine Mine (SC230), Wind Wall (PH302) + Plant Growth (PH262)
4th lvl: Cure Serious Wounds (PH216), Freedom of Movement (PH233), Moon Bolt (SC143), Rusting Grasp (PH273) + Command Plants (PH211)
5th lvl: Animal Growth (PH198), Baleful Polymorph (PHErrata2), Call Lightning Storm (PH207), Phantom Stag (SC157) + Wall of Thorns (PH 300)
6th lvl: Cometfall (SC50) Wall of Stone x2 (PH299), + Repel Wood (PH271)

I took one spell per spell level from Spell Compendium, just tell me if you have anything against this.


_________________
The Chilli God Has Spoken.
Characters & Art
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Destro Yersul
The Troutbearer


Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 6378


Location: Sector ZZ9 plural Z alpha

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad idea. Deckard ambles over. Get rid of the weird cult, save the world.. sounds like my kind of party.
_________________
Avatar by Vael
Trout by Vael
Cookies: 31

My Characters
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Kyrian
Resident Party Animal


Joined: 04 Jun 2007
Posts: 45806


Location: A state of mind like no other...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karil looks up at Deckard's words, nodding. Agreed. Let's rid this land of this cult.


_________________
Click the Dragons!

Stories
Deviant
Blog


Last edited by Kyrian on Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Enupnion Forum Index -> The Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 1 of 32

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Card File  Gallery  Forum Archive
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum