Archive for Enupnion Keep on Dreaming
 


       Enupnion Forum Index -> The Games
Terumitsu

What happens in Vegas... [Dustworld Playtest]

Dust... The clouds of it run over the streets, choking lungs and stinging eyes. The city of sin and sensations seems to be mostly unchanged from before. The lights still flash. The dice still roll. Even the streets are still a trial to navigate. Of course, the blasted Hilton hotels, the shattered casinos and the broken pavement make it difficult to recall the former...'Glory' of the city.

There had been only one bomb that hit the city, a dud by the luck of it, but the spread of other explosions, marked by vast craters scattered around the city, left it battered and bent all the same. People had no trouble walking the streets. There was no halting of booze and needles. Life had gone on. Sure, some people looked funny now and again. Radiation did that after a while. They would just get a larger hat size or cut another arm hole and go on. Besides, it helped when you wanted to cheat the odds when you had a little tip in your favor. And odds were, you would be dead or at least better of as such if the loan sharks, pimps, slavers, and Gentelmen had any say of it.

This city was built upon broken dreams. Why should that ever change? "Lose big", be it money or life, was the motto here. Even the great big signs that declaired their message to the beaten and dusty wastelands.

"Welcome To Las Vegas!" They said. Where the light from the muzzles still flash. Where the dice of Misfortune still roll. And where the rubble of the streets make it one hell of a trial to navigate.

Welcome to Vegas...

Welcome to Dustworld...
*******************

All that is miles away. Just close enough to be a ghostly city in the haze of dust. There read a faded sign of 'Eat and Gas. Motel!' on a rusted and bent tower upon the roof of a diner and fuel station. Rigs. Runners. Bounties. Hunters.
All of them can be found in some way at these stops. Most are just passing through while others have the roads staked out. Some seem to have been here a while if the shacks out back had anything to say. Staff was still needed and so was money. There is a small arms and armor shop along with a moderately well equiped group of mechanics. All in all, average. A place to sleep for a night. Grab a bite. Lounge.

And a place that five individuals, completely unrelated until now with reasons equily diverse, would be found.. Around there somewhere...
Keledrath

One of these is a man, medium height, with blond hair and hazel eyes.  He has a slight tan.  However, the most notable features are as follows:  The two combat pistols at his side, the hunting rifle on his back, and a poorly concealed third arm on his side.
Artemis

In one corner of the diner, a pale, thin young man sits. His black hair looks like it hasn't been combed in days, his clothes are wrinkled, really it looks like he just rolled out of bed. A simple bag sits in the chair next to him, full of something large and square.  Examining a menu, he tries to order from a waitress who is quickly running out of patience with him.

"I...w-woould lik-ke a..." His speech is painfully slow and stuttering.

Really, the poor guy has 'nerd' written all over him. In another age, he'd of had his lunch money stolen and ended up upside down in a toilet stall.
Keledrath

The man looks over and rolls his eyes.  These people were so strange..  He had a third arm, and yet he was still able to place an order.
Seribro

A man walks into a bar... Well actually he walks into THE bar since there isn't really another one around for miles... At any rate, anyone who would take the trouble of looking at him, would be done with it in less then three seconds.
Vale blue jeans with a pear of black safety boots sticking underneath them. Worn pale green bomber jack over a red-green blouse with the kind of diamond print that one finds on either a Scottish kilt or a truckers outfit. Tall he is, but not exactly of impressive built.  His black goatee and ponytail are dirty with grease and dust. In other words, John Do. Only this one is called different but that doesn't really matter.

He looks around a bit, wondering wetter to take a barseat or a table when he notices the stuttering boy at the table with the waitress growing agitated. He shrugs a bit and walks over, sitting down across it. He grips the menu out of the boys hands, gives it a quick glance then says
"Be thou my waitress and served us one burger extra ketchup, no mayonaise, with fried potato chips and a big roothbeer. The same shalt this gentleman with me have. Mine expenses it shalt be."
Artemis

Well, so much for that cup of coffee he had hoped to order, but the burger didn't sound so bad, and if this fellow was paying..

"Th-thank you." He says, looking at the man across from him, genuinely aprreciative.
Seribro

"Don't thee mention it. I did not see any other serving maid around so I merely took the liberty of sharing thine. Now, for what I would like, beside iner breakfast in order to soothen miner bowel, is for thee to provide me with purpose. Thee art not from here and thee art not in the company of a gang. Yet, you art as of yet alive. I do not know thine destination, but thee seem of more trustworthiness then ya average bandit or throat cutting scoundrel. To cut a long story short, I wish to live, so douth thee and as associates our chance should be higher to maintain this desired state of life. Does thou not agree?"
As the man elaborates about how having a partner heightens the chances of survival, he makes some odd hand gestures that are a weak attempt of putting some more strength into his words but actually seem rather out of place instead. The ponytail wiggles a bit as he moves his head around along with it.
"Oh, almost would I have forgotten min manners. Brux Camberton be'd my name."
Artemis

"I...am G-gunter." He replies. "I...j-just got h-heere"
blackout

A man in armor, with a helmet, walks into the Truck Stop. A combat pistol is in a holster on his waist. He carries a backpack, which looks a little heavy.

Finally, civilization...

He takes off his helmet, and looks around. A tattoo on his right cheek depicts a fist, pure black, gripping what looks like a skyscraper.

This man's a long way from home...
Keledrath

The man looks over at the newcomers, sizing them up.
blackout

The other man walks into the bar, and looks around, helmet under his arm. He walks up to the bar, and looks at the menu, distaste apparent on his face.
Keledrath

They never have anything worthwhile at these places.
The man just mutters this to himself.
Artemis

Gunter's words catch up with his thoughts after a minute. "A... p-partner...ship w-woould be de-desireable. I... was t-told it iss d-dangerous out h-here. Y-you hear st-storiess a...bout p-places like thiss, n-not that-t I... be-believe half of th-them."

((Tell me, is the stuttering too much trouble to read?))
blackout

((A little. Besides, Holy Order Initiates speak with a Ye Olde Englishe tongue...at least in my mind they do. <_< >_>))
Keledrath

(Did you konw taht olny the frsit and lsat lterts mtaetr as lnog as all the lterts are terhe?  Seriously, did you have any trouble reading "Did you know that only the first and last letter matter as long as all the letters are there"?)

Overhearing this.
It is dangerous out here.
Artemis

((Dialing back the stuttering then. And he's... a recent convert? yeah.. that's it. Although, he might pick up the Olde English stuff if he keeps hanging around Brux.))

Gunter looks over at the other man, and just sort of stares for a while. "Y-you have th-three arms." He states after a few moments.
Keledrath

Well, I guess your not blind, in any case.
Seribro

Bookboy wrote:
(Did you konw taht olny the frsit and lsat lterts mtaetr as lnog as all the lterts are terhe?  Seriously, did you have any trouble reading "Did you know that only the first and last letter matter as long as all the letters are there"?)


((Yes I did. It is called dyslexia. I am able to read it, but only word for word. The stuttering on the other hand did not bother me at all. Don't know if I could say the same if I were actually sitting at that table, but that's a different matter. Further more, not every Holy Order Initiate is the same. Also, the speech may highly differ from one Holy Order community to the next due to the lack of long distance communications that are a general feature of most post-apocalyptic settings. And I'll neglect to mention that even in very old England, ye Olde English is pronounced in a hundred different ways depending on regional dialect, social status and prior ethnic background. It wouldn't surprise me if a farmer from York had the hardest time understanding a royal from London And that concludes our lesson on individual tongues for today, now back to the story Cool  ))

Brux nods at the words of both the stuttering Gunter and the three-armed man before continuing his preaching.
"They be right, the stories that thou has heard. Just as the kind sir confirmetid. The gears of the wheel grind he who does not watch the grease of this dusty plain. For though they me keep the turning smooth, so to do they filter the chain from its weaker links. But when the links of the chain work together well, then even weak links can form a strong chain. Friction is the true killer of the divine machine known as life."
Artemis

((Of course that London Royal was more likely speaking French at the time...but that's another point all together. Also, Seribro, did his speech color change for a reason?))

Gunter grins ar Brux, recognizing the teachings.
Keledrath

(Uh...Ser, that was just a random fun fact my aunt sent me in an email.)

James, on the other hand, doesn't.
And what's that supposed to mean, city boy?
blackout

Phillip notices Brux speaking with a Ye Olde English tongue. Great; toaster-worshippers. He also notices the other man using the term 'city boy', commonly used by people in villages or small towns; and tribals.
Seribro

(I know. I didn't take offence by it. I know the line, or at least a similar one in Dutch. Just felt like mentioning it. Oh, and sorry about the colour, I mixed it up with another character I play.)

I beg you pardon? City would be a bit of a large word to describe the town I come from. And I assure you, no harm was meant by my words. I merely attempted to explain it would indeed be safer to travel together so that one can watch out for each others state of existence.

When the burgers appear, Brux grabs the opportunity to change subjects.
Ah, breakfast be served! May our engines be fuelled once more.
Keledrath

Before turning back to his own food, James brushes his hair out of his eyes, revealing the tribal marking on his forehead.
blackout

Tribal, then. Phillip thinks, watching James from across the room. His Black Hand tattoo should be plainly obvious.
Keledrath

Yeah, James noticed that when he walked in.
What're you looking at?
blackout

Nothing. The man orders a burger, and when the order comes, he checks it for anything he didn't want on it. If there was anything else on it, there'd be hell to pay...
Keledrath

Right.
This is said in a sarcastic voice.
Artemis

Gunter happlily digs into his food, oblivious to any hostilities that may occur.
Terumitsu

((And the GM said "Let there was much handing out of RP XP" and it was good. Or something like that.))

It was just another day here and little attention was payed to the rumble of engines. Gangs were common and traveling in groups was common sense. The mechanics on break let a stray eye flick to the road which was getting the first wavers of head distortion from the midday sun. One or two noticed that a turret on one of the bigger rigs was turning as they came around the bend. That and the flash from the barrel. The heavy shell flew through the air and smashed into the mechanic's shop, killing a few lucky ones quickly. Rubble fell in and crushed the arms or legs of a few others. Three runners up front revved the engines and sped off toward the diner, shattering the glass door as the leapt the curb and leaving black, smoking marks on the yellowed tile as they skidded to a stop. With cocky smiles, each of them produced a weapon or two, The big muscly one waving about a minigun. It looked a bit odd but it was hard to tell with just a glance as to what it was. A leaner one had two minor machineguns that he was training on each person as he looked around. He had a faded red bandanna over his sun bleached hair, the color that most everything goes after a few years in the desert. The third was rather average in build but had a look in his eye that said he was hoping for some serious excitement like a junkie wating for his next fix. He seemed to have a full armload of genades strapped to him and his rifle danced about with the same itch as his trigger finger.

"Now, Thou need not speak nor dost ye find need of locomotion." The lean one proclaimed in a dry, gravely voice. "Thine arms are best left down. We shall claim the recorces we have need of and leave. But the hand of The Olde Machinae shall guide mine rounds swiftly if any who would resist arise. All griefs shall be repaied tenfold upon all who resist and upon every member present here. Ye who will attempt it shall have those souls weigh upon their own."

With a snearing face, the lean one then nodded to someone behind him and a rig smashed through the front of the diner as several men jumped out of it and began smashing about for foodstuffs and trinkets. One thing that they seemed to have in common was that those who had a lacking right sleave, there was a black tatoo of the face of the sun as depicted in the middle ages. The odd thing was, the rays of the sun seemed more like the teeth of a gear. Interesting, that.

((Each of you take 50 XP aaaaaaand....

What will you do? Map will be up later.. just declaire actions for now as this is just really close combat anyway...))

Pre-set-rolled-for-you-mildly-railroaded-initiative-list:
Spoiler:

Lean guy
Average guy
Mr. Minigun and his bulky wielder.
(Blackout)
(BB)
(Seribo)
(Art)

Keledrath

(We're dead if we fight.  Seriously Teru, a minigun and a Rig?)

James just sit quietly, knowing that it would be suicide to try and take these guys on.
Seribro

((Wow... Not entirely fair since we seem to have automatically failed our initiative rolls but damn, great post dude! Although we are most likely going to be left with less then we even started with... somehow I doubt these guys just wish to order a burger and fries))

Brux blinks a few times before finally remembering to swallow the bite of burger still in his mouth. He lowers the arm which he had thrown up in a reflex to cover his face from flying shards of glass. The adrenaline in his veins was urging him to grab his gun but his limbs felt all numb and a voice in his mind was telling him not to. So he just sits there, burger in one hand, the other placed back on the tables edge, a sweat of fear breaking on his forehead and his back.
Terumitsu

((Sorry but there is a reason why it seems so unfair... Pardon that.. And I rolled the initiatives for you.. Pardon that as well. The reason being, it would really have been a bit of a waste to just state to roll initiatives and post them with the parenthases... Trying to do you all a favor. Or something.. Perhaps we should use the looking for players area to discuss the OOG things. In fact..(remainder of apology/explenation in said area.)))
blackout

Phillip watches with interest, knowing that these guys are probably not idiots. Why didn't he requisition that carbine while he was back home?

Gentlemen, please, there's no need for violence. He stands, hands in the air. Let's all just put our weapons down. Someone could get hurt.

Persuade roll: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1515126/
Artemis

Gunter watches the man with the minigun, or more accurately, the weapon itself. What a fascinating bit of machinery, so much more efficient than the pistols in his bag. He'd never seen one this close before. He's probably staring again.
Keledrath

As he watches the man from the Black Hand, James slowly puts his hands in his lap.  Much easier to access the holstered combat pistols incase something went horribly wrong.
Terumitsu

With attention focused on scanning the room, the man with the bandanna didn't catch the words right off. That and the noise of several people looting the storehouses, the running noise of the rig, the clatters and murmers of scared people... He didn't get much of that message to his ears. However... The minigun man and the not so gregarous grenadier were both close enough to take notice. The grenade was held more loosely and the muzzle of the gun tilted more to the floor. It wasn't that they particularly heeded the words but they did seem to be listening. Though, that wouldn't do more than distract them for a short time. They were on a mission for their own survival after all. "Oh, Thou seems to be mistaken, oh Gear among the Cogs. Wish not for violence do we but duties to our closest bretheren is first like the links of a chain. We beseach thee to reclaim thoust resting place and to keep thy tonge from tickling our ears." The burly man said with an oddly calm, deep voice. "It is no ill respect but care for thoust Life's Oil as the great Friction would soon overtake thee should it spill."

The lack of threataning movements by anyone served to do little other than just allow continued existance as per the word of the raiders.

The observation of the minigun showed that it was currently more than a little worn. Apparently, it was hard to properly clean and oil it while upon the sandy wastelands. That and what looked like a shard of glass was stuck inbetween two bullets quite close to the feed belt's opening. That would likely wreck havoc on the machine should it catch upon that. All in all.. It was in less than optimum shape but it seemed like it still had a little life left in it... Assuming that it wasn't properly cared for soon.


Note:
Spoiler:

If it wouldn't be too much trouble, I would like all role play to be in the upper text with the rolls for the actions and to repeat the actual actions in spoilers just incase I misunderstand what it is you are trying to say in the RP area up top. Just so it wouldn't clutter up a post or anything... As an example:

Bandanna Bandit: Oversaw the 'hostages' Full round action
Minigun Man: Heard the words of Phillip and replied with "Siddown an Shaddap if ya know whats good for ya." as a free action. Took no actions this round.
Grungy Grenadier: I think he scratched his nose and got a bit bored with the lack of violence... Full round action?

Seribro

"I press thee forgive mine intrusion, but it be looking like theine gunner has wracked his holy blade. There be glass jammed in between the leadreck and sand in thine barrelgear. Suck lack of respect for machinery such marvellous as a holy sword is intolerable. Death and destruction among wielder and bystander alike it shalt wreack if not taken propperly care of. Shalt thou allow me to cares thine holy sword? It shalt not be longer then a minute or two to prevent it from being blown to smitherines at its next crusade."
Brux puts his burger down and carefully and slowly opens his backpack to reveal a first class repair kit in order to explain his intentions.

Spoiler:

speak as free action, open backpack as a move.

Artemis

Gunter tilts his head and tries to get a good look at Brux's toolkit. It seemed to be a nice one, not as nice as his own, though. Would the thug let Brux fix it? Did Brux even know what he was doing? He's probably a good mechanic, even knew the scriptures. It would be really neat to see the minigun up close too. Or maybe one of the grenades? Those were brutally efficient weapons. Just look at the destruction a few of them had caused. Such tiny packages...

He turned to look out the broken windows at the carnage outside, appreciating the demoliton, and not giving a single thought to the people caught in it.

Spoiler:



Hope to see the minigun up close, admire the destruction, look around for anything else of interest.

Perception if needed: 11

Keledrath

James sits quietly, ready to draw.
blackout

Phillip finally loses his patience, and sits back down. Doing so, he slowly lowers his hand down to his pistol, and attempts to draw it silently.


Spoiler:

Drawing gun as move action.

Terumitsu

The burly man looked down and spotted the glass wedged into the feed line. "Thanks to thee for the notification." he said as he pulled the glass out. "But touch this weapon thee shalt not. I need not be looking down the shaft of mine own blade. But there are some machines that are better left to the histories. This is but a tool of death. Such tools should be buried in the sands we found them in." And with that, he resumed his more ready position. The other two had walked their bikes over and were motioning to a few of the other rouges. One of them was carrying a very heavy looking box and set it down on the counter. The bustling activity was quite distracting. Besides, who would try to threatan a group of thugs with rather powerful looking firearms? Thusly, no secretive movement was noticed.

As for what is seen outside, about half a dozen tatooed men were going to one vehicle to the next as they stripped what parts they could. A few were hotwireing the newer looking models. That and quite a bit of fire and broken glass...
Artemis

Gunter thinks they would have a hard time leaving without puncturing their tires, with all the broekn glass. Then the box catches his attention. He stretches and leans about to try and see what it is.

Spoiler:

What's in the box?

9

Keledrath

James also tries to see what's in the box.

Spoiler:

Perception Check if needed: [url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1521440/ ]2d6+10=13[/url]

blackout

Phillip decides to aim under the table at Mr. Minigun's right hand. (Called Shot: Right Hand, full round action)
Terumitsu

Well, the box isn't open per say.. So all that is seen is that it is a really nice looking box... That has wires coming out of it.. along with what looks like an antenna poking out of the top... and several other things such as a keyboard and a power cable. Perhaps a radio device of some sort? It was just sitting there now though, seemingly not being bothered with.

And while it is possible to aim under a table at a hand, when not looking down the line of sight, it's just a little more difficult... But not horribly impossible.

The Genadier walked his bike over to an older couple on the other side of the room and heckled them a bit. Nothing horribly unusual.

Well.. Unusual for him at least.
Artemis

Too intrigued to keep his seat, Gunter stands and quickly walks over to the strange box, so he might peer at it. "W..what is it-t?" He asks.

Spoiler:

Try to get REALLY close to the box.

Identification:2d6+7=17
apparenly I need another die: 3d6+7=18 not that it changes much.

blackout

Phillip's player shall add an additional -2 modifier to the accuracy roll.

Spoiler:

Shooting Mr. Minigun's right hand.

Called Shot: Right Hand roll: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1556092/



((He should get a penalty to his Dodge roll for being unaware.))
Keledrath

James watches as the idiot with the tattoo fires.  Even if he does disable one of the men, how would he take care of the Rig in the wall?

       Enupnion Forum Index -> The Games
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum