Archive for Enupnion Keep on Dreaming
 


       Enupnion Forum Index -> Arts and Crafts
Deadly

The History of Enupnion (Enupnion Setting)

Just wrote up a brief history of the world, as well as I could based on our various discussions. I wanted to post it here before trying to finalise it, to see if anyone had some thoughts on it. I personally think it's good as a quick intro to what happened. I wanted to stick to the main events, the apocalypse and following great conflict that shaped the world directly.

Hope you all like it too Smile

A brief history of Enupnion
The history of Enupnion is an ancient one, and filled with both glory, war and controversy.

The tale begins with the rise of the human race. From their appearance many aeons ago, the humans quickly spread out to seize the world as their own. Where the human race originally came from, if it originated on Enupnion or somewhere else, is largely unknown but the result was the same: Within only a few thousand years the humans entirely dominated the planet and even began exploring the vast space around it.

Not all of space was explored freely, however. The closest locations of all outside the atmosphere of the planet, the five moons circling Enupnion, were largely left undisturbed. The reasons were many, not least of all the fact that the moons always had been held as highly sacred and even divine by the large and powerful theocracy dominating civilization. The priesthood would allow no defiling of the moons, and those discovered trying to do so were persecuted as heretics and blasphemers.

But despite the harsh laws of the priesthood, some people still sought to explore the moons like the rest of space. While the highly magical nature of the moons caused serious troubles in doing so, the technology of man eventually made it possible to send small, unmanned probes to the moons. A few returned with samples of the rocks there, but a lot of such expeditions were never made, for one did not succeed.

For unknown reasons, one of the probes secretly sent to one of the moons caused a massive explosion in the core. The violent destruction of one of the moons not only caused great environmental catastrophies, like great floods and showers of moon rocks, but also disrupted much magic, and as a result much of the technology that depended on this magic. The consequences were vast and terrible, sending the once glorious world into disarray and controversy.

The world was in chaos, trust in technology was deeply shaken, magic was disrupted, and shards of one of the sacred moons now fell all over the planet. In the chaos the priests were quick to declare that the shards of the broken moon still were as sacred as had they been whole and hanging in the sky. Others quickly gathered shards where they could to use the tiny fraction of magical power they still held individually.

This quickly caused the priesthood to decree that anyone who touched or otherwise defiled the sacred fragments of the moon were to be hunted and punished as heretics of the worst order. In the years following the cataclysm, while the world tried to recover from the vast floods and other effects, the priesthood initiated great hunts and used enormous resources to hunt down the heretics and bring them to justice for their blasphemous acts against the moons. As a result many who where thought to be heretics were driven out of society and forced to flee into the wild and ruined land. Here they sought to establish themselves as a new order.

At the same time the priesthood did their best to locate and ritually gather the fragments to store them away safely in the deepest chambers of their temples, afraid that the heretics otherwise might get them and use their power against the civilized world for even greater harm than had already been caused. The heretics saw this as a great atrocity, a deliberate act by the priests to keep the magic of the moon stones for themselves instead of sharing their power with the world.

It was not long until the tension caused by this controversy erupted into full scale war and genocide. For decades the civilized world lead by the powerful priesthood fought against the heretics. The heretics, while inferior in number, were quick to use the great power of the moon shards against the priesthood. During this relatively short period of human history, more humans were killed or permanently harmed than any other time in recorded history, and both sides suffered terrible losses numbering in the millions.

It took many years for the conflict to die down, but it never ceased entirely, and is still going strong to this day, millenia after the initial war. After both sides were left too weak to fight on, a fragile peace fell over the world for a time, and the people slowly arose from the ashes to rebuild their lives. The two groups remained, both slowly restoring and rebuilding, but constantly at odds.

The few priests left after the war helped restore some of the great civilized cities and slowly bring back the theocratic world based around the worship and study of the moons. The heretics, on the other hand, stayed in hiding while delving deeper into the power of the shards. Over time many heretics were even changed physically by the transmutive magic of the stones they used in their magic. The priests saw this as another sign that the heretics were playing with dangerous and dark powers, further fueling the controversy. Many priests even saw the transmutations as divine retribution brought upon the heretics, and as such proof that the priests were right all along.

Over centuries the actual facts of the history have faded from the mind of the common folk, and few people today know why exactly the heretics are outcasts and what caused the great conflicts. But the result can not be denied. Ever since that fateful day the world has changed. Technology is greatly distrusted by most, those who use the shards are shunned and persecuted and the human race has never since reached the glorious heights of it's past.
Xaspian

Quote:
For unknown reasons, one of the probes secretly sent to one of the moons caused a massive explosion in the core.

I don't want to definately link the explosion with a probe. There was a probe on the moon at the time, but no-one knows if it's linked to the Fall or not - Although popular opinion is that it was.


I always liked the idea of isolated settlements, struggling to survive alone. Especially with our island-heavy map. Perhaps something to do with the Fall caused the sea-levels to rise slightly? Maybe not. But anyway

After the destruction of the moon, much of the civilisation's infrastructure collapsed. People banded together in smaller groups - families, or neighbourhoods, sticking together, mistrustful of outsiders. No-one really knew who was responsible for the devastation, but they knew it wasn't them, so anyone else could be suspect.

After time passed, many of these small groups died out, although some eventually joined together, putting aside their mistrust in order to survive.

Hmmm. I don't really like the idea of the priesthood existing pre-Fall. I always thought of them as rising up as one of the groups, trying to explain the moon's destruction, that seemed to gain power quickly.

What I'd like is quite a bit of isolated communities who never regained enough technology to realise that there were so many other surviors. They would have formed their own traditions and superstitions about the Fall, and could be quite interesting/ed in thearrival of adventurers. They'd also probably be pretty in-bred, after a few

So, that's my initial thoughts. Overall, good job, Deadly!
Deadly

Xaspian wrote:
Quote:
For unknown reasons, one of the probes secretly sent to one of the moons caused a massive explosion in the core.

I don't want to definately link the explosion with a probe. There was a probe on the moon at the time, but no-one knows if it's linked to the Fall or not - Although popular opinion is that it was.


Good point. I'll fix that.

Xaspian wrote:
I always liked the idea of isolated settlements, struggling to survive alone. Especially with our island-heavy map. Perhaps something to do with the Fall caused the sea-levels to rise slightly? Maybe not. But anyway

After the destruction of the moon, much of the civilisation's infrastructure collapsed. People banded together in smaller groups - families, or neighbourhoods, sticking together, mistrustful of outsiders. No-one really knew who was responsible for the devastation, but they knew it wasn't them, so anyone else could be suspect.

After time passed, many of these small groups died out, although some eventually joined together, putting aside their mistrust in order to survive.


The rising of the sea level is what I meant when mentioning floods. The world was flooded and a lot of land was covered under water. This would have created a lot of the islands, and it'd be logical enough that isolated groups were created too in the same way. I may not have said it explicitly enough, but what you said is pretty much what I meant to say. I just want to keep this as brief and to the point as possible, so a lot of details like this are left out.

Xaspian wrote:
Hmmm. I don't really like the idea of the priesthood existing pre-Fall. I always thought of them as rising up as one of the groups, trying to explain the moon's destruction, that seemed to gain power quickly.


This one I don't agree with. I've always thought they were there all along, and I think it makes the most sense too. Magic has always been tied to the moons, long before the fall, so it makes sense that people would worship/respect the moons, and it makes no sense that there should have been no priests at all before the fall. As such, I think it makes most sense that the priests have always seen the moons as sacred.

Also, I really like the idea of priests with a lot of influence over people. Forget the battle-healers of D&D, instead I see them as something like enchanters. They are extremely charismatic and extremely good at going out and making anyone believe in anything they say. They aren't fighters and they aren't heavy spellcasters, they are brainwashers and masters of rhetorics. That's how I see them, and it makes them perfect for holding great power and influence in society.

Xaspian wrote:
What I'd like is quite a bit of isolated communities who never regained enough technology to realise that there were so many other surviors. They would have formed their own traditions and superstitions about the Fall, and could be quite interesting/ed in thearrival of adventurers. They'd also probably be pretty in-bred, after a few

So, that's my initial thoughts. Overall, good job, Deadly!


I agree with the idea of isolated groups, I'm just not sure we really need to detail that in this brief summary.
Vael

I definitely agree with there being a pre-existing priesthood, though to me it makes a lot of sense that they wouldn't have been as powerfall pre-fall.
Well hey, who needs gods when you have masses of technology and the arcane arts, right?

But after the moon shattered, and so many things started crumbling, they could remain at the same power (because they weren't as dependent on said things) and people need some kind of haven and sanctuary for their minds, and the priests, due to their beliefs, stay strong and take control.


The thing I do wonder and am iffy about is the size of the war. Technology and magic had suddenly changed radically- due to the fact that the magics based around transmutation, and the magics based around necromancy, were suddenly changed or revoked, that would have caused MASS catastrophe and death. That should have been the main cause of destruction, in my opinion.
After that, the war should hardly have numbered in the millions. It would have been a bitter and hate centered strife, but I think the priesthood and their followers should have had an overwhelming majority, and were merely driving the outnumbered and lone heretics out. The heretics weren't so much a group as they were people who got excommunicated for their crimes. They possibly created a group after they were cast out. It wasn't a war. It was a witch slaying campaign.

That's my opinion.
Deadly

Vael wrote:
I definitely agree with there being a pre-existing priesthood, though to me it makes a lot of sense that they wouldn't have been as powerfall pre-fall.
Well hey, who needs gods when you have masses of technology and the arcane arts, right?

But after the moon shattered, and so many things started crumbling, they could remain at the same power (because they weren't as dependent on said things) and people need some kind of haven and sanctuary for their minds, and the priests, due to their beliefs, stay strong and take control.


But how would you then explain why people didn't travel to the moons more? There must have been a compelling reason to leave the moons alone, and why only a few dared to do it. I'm ok with having the priesthood being less powerful pre-fall, but then we need some other explanation, I think.

Vael wrote:
The thing I do wonder and am iffy about is the size of the war. Technology and magic had suddenly changed radically- due to the fact that the magics based around transmutation, and the magics based around necromancy, were suddenly changed or revoked, that would have caused MASS catastrophe and death. That should have been the main cause of destruction, in my opinion.
After that, the war should hardly have numbered in the millions. It would have been a bitter and hate centered strife, but I think the priesthood and their followers should have had an overwhelming majority, and were merely driving the outnumbered and lone heretics out. The heretics weren't so much a group as they were people who got excommunicated for their crimes. They possibly created a group after they were cast out. It wasn't a war. It was a witch slaying campaign.

That's my opinion.


I'm seeing it as several sort of seperate events. First the moon exploded, with the following catastrophe and mass death. That was terrible and left the whole world crippled. It didn't really last long, probably calmed down in a few months at most, after which people would rise and try to recover.

So then we have a period of recovery where most people only care about surviving and restoring what they can. This could last many years, probably a small century even where nothing of note really happens. This is also the period where the priesthood will grow the most in power, because, as you said, people need comfort and someone to tell them what they want to hear.

Then people get their lives enough back on track that they start paying attention to other things. Such as the moon rocks, and what actually happened, and why and how and all those things. And this is where the war begins to brew. People begin to gather the moon rocks. People begin to question what happenened, they begin to point fingers, and they begin to fight. And then the priesthood begins to question, point fingers and eventually decide that the heretics are all to blame and must be killed. The heretics probably have their own questions and scape goats, and then we have a war.

The war wasn't very intensive, but it lasted for an awful long time before settling down enough that you can no longer call it a war. I'm not talking about millions of people dying in a year or two, I'm talking about millions of people dying over the span of 50 years or more.

That's how I see it, anyway.
Vael

Hmm. Okay.

And I see what you're saying with the priesthood, but my reasoning is this: it isn't that they weren't powerful, it is that they weren't in direct control.
I see it as a contrast between say, modern Christianity in the USA and other places (seriously, who can deny the influence it has had, even if they don't believe in it) vs. a church or religion being in charge of the government itself. There was enough religion to make people leery of actually trying anything, but after the moon shattered, the religion and priesthood took over and replaced the government and led a freakin' crusade against the heretics.
Deadly

Ah, ok then. That sounds reasonable enough to me.

       Enupnion Forum Index -> Arts and Crafts
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum