Archive for Enupnion Keep on Dreaming
 


       Enupnion Forum Index -> Chit-Chat
Keledrath

How have you pronounced them?

If you ever say another board member's username, how do you pronounce it?  Mostly for the odder ones.  Also, how do you pronounce your own?

I'll start with our beloved admins.
Vay-el or Veil, depending on my mood.
So-FEAST-emon

Yeah, I always say the middle really loudly.
Sophistemon

I've always pronounced "Vael" as "vale", myself. I've always wondered what inspired the name, though I've never taken the time to ask.

I've heard that people say "Wukei" as "wookiee", though I've always said it like "woo-kay", nice and smooth, with an Eastern flair.

My own handle, formed as it is of two Greek words, has a proper pronunciation, at least according to my sources: "sof-ees'-stay'-mone". SophISTEmon.

Greek is a wonderful language, don't you agree?
Vael

Sophistemon wrote:
I've always pronounced "Vael" as "vale", myself. I've always wondered what inspired the name, though I've never taken the time to ask.

Vale, Veil- same pronunciation, and the correct one.
And I didn't actually have any inspiration- I sort of made it up... however, considering the mask theme I have going, and the way I've used it, I think it fits (if you think of it like veil). But I didn't do it on purpose.
Lykan

... Shoot, I've been saying it wrong. >_<

Though I've said Soph's name right, which is a plus... I know I'm saying Wu's name right too.

By the by, my name's pronounced Lie-ken.
Keledrath

Oh, forgot to include pronunciation for mine. Boo-k-boi  Razz.

Yes, I include the Razz in my username pronunciation.
Deadly

Seems like I've been pronouncing Sophistemon correctly all the time. I think. Nice.

I pronounce Wukei as "wookiee", though I'm sure it's wrong. It just rolls off the tongue easier for me.

As for Vael... I've known the correct way to pronounce it for a long time, and I try to remember it, but for some reason I usually end up shortening it into... something hard to describe... a bit like vale but without the e at the end and the a sounds different. Sort of. Probably because I confuse 'ae' with the Danish .

Much the same with Iames. I know the correct way, and I try to remember it, but my intuition tells me to pronounce it like James with more of an I sound than a J sound. Sounds horrible, actually. The correct way sounds much better, it's just hard to remember.

Apparently I have a problem with pronouncing Lykan as well. Seems I go wrong with the 'an', which I believe is a common problem for me.
Xaspian

I pronounce Wukei with the 'ei' rhyming with 'sigh'. And a longer 'u' sound.
The first part of Iames I say as 'Yay'.
Vael, I think I get right, although I'm usually not sure if I do.

I think I normally get Sophistemon right, apart from the last syllable, which I just pronounce 'mon', instead of 'mone'. And I do agree that Greek is a wonderful language.

Now... The big debate... How do you say the 'X' in 'Xaspian'? I wasn't sure for a long time myself, but now I think it's a kind of 'Ks' sound - like at the end of Box. It might sound a bit awkward, but I like it. The rest is pronounced as the Narnian prince.
Exachix

Zas-pian.
That's how I say it ;D.
Draken Frosthand

I say it with a "ch", "tch" sound. Like in "chap" Tchaspian.

Soph... Always got it mostly right, but didn't say "mone", just "mon".

Wukei... Woo-kay. I think it's how I say.

Vael... uh... V-l, I presume it's a close aproximation.

Lykan I was getting right, I think.

Exachix. Echachiks. I think I instinctively use "x" as "ch" in the middle and beggining of words more often than I use it as "z".
Nevrmore

So far I've been pronouncing everyone's handles right. Go me.
Exachix

Draken;
I say mine as "Ex-Ah-Chicks". =).

Wukei's I say as Woo-ky (as in sky)

Lykans.. I say as Lie-Kan. Hehe.

Sophistemon's... I said, and probably will still say as, So-fist-ee-mon. I'll try and say it that way though ;P.

Vael's I say as Veil, or Vale. Yay!

Iames... I say as I-aims. =)

Nevrmore... I say as Nev-rr-more. The rr is kinda like an err but shorter. Or that show I say it
Renom

Nightwing pronounces my name like the word "Venom," exept with an r.

I pronounce "Kyrian" as "Kyrain."
Kyrian

Kyr-e-an
Xaspian

Hmm... For Kyrian, I keep the 'y' short, like the 'i' in 'hit'. I think I also pronounce the 'a' as that kind of generic vowel sound - Like a cross between 'a' and 'u' and 'e'.

Renom, I vary how I pronounce it. Either Ree-Nomm, or Ray-Nomm. Or maybe even Reh-Nom, like you said nightwing does it.

Draken - the 'a' from 'cat', and '-ken' as in the name. As opposed to saying 'Drake' and adding an 'n' on the end, which just sounds wierd.

Exachix - I'm pretty sure I'm getting it right...

I tend to get Ms. E's pronunciation wrong, and hence missed out on the word play for quite a long time. Now I know how it probably should sound, but I still prefer my version. A bit like 'Elan - Ay-us'

Argh. I really need to get around to learning the phonetic alphabet.
Draken Frosthand

Xaspian got mine correct.
Castaras

Drak-en
Ky-ri-an
Ex-a-chicks
Soph-ist-eh-mon
Veil
Nev-er-more
Lie-can
Ree-nom *nom nom. Nom nom nom nom nom* <.< >.>
Book-boy
Dead-lee

My name? Cass-tarr-ass
The Bushranger

Vael wrote:
Vale, Veil- same pronunciation, and the correct one.
And I didn't actually have any inspiration- I sort of made it up... however, considering the mask theme I have going, and the way I've used it, I think it fits (if you think of it like veil). But I didn't do it on purpose.


Are you sure it isn't Vae-El, Last Roleplayer of Krypton?

Cool
Kyrian

Castaras wrote:
Ky-ri-an


My name? Cass-tarr-ass


*giggles* your name has ass in it... =P

also, your pronunciation sounds about right. Sounds right when I say it that way. *Confuses hisself*
Keledrath

I have been pronouncing so many of these wrong...
The Herald

Xaspian wrote:
Hmm... For Kyrian, I keep the 'y' short, like the 'i' in 'hit'. I think I also pronounce the 'a' as that kind of generic vowel sound - Like a cross between 'a' and 'u' and 'e'.


You mean ə?

Oh, and for anyone who wants to know, my character pages include handy pronunciation guides.
Shadow of the Sun

Seein' as my handle is made up entirely of mundane words...

Some of my characters have somewhat illogical pronounciations; Zerzura is pronounced 'Zer-zeer-er'. After a hidden city.
Xaspian

Lord Iames Osari wrote:
Xaspian wrote:
Hmm... For Kyrian, I keep the 'y' short, like the 'i' in 'hit'. I think I also pronounce the 'a' as that kind of generic vowel sound - Like a cross between 'a' and 'u' and 'e'.


You mean ə?


That's the one!

Generally I pronounces Shadow of the Sun as the words, and Sots is pronounced as it sounds, by me, at least...
nightwing

Kyrian wrote:
Kyr-e-an


I got it right! in your face renom! Very Happy
Renom

I know how to pronounce Kyrian, but it just feels better to say Kyrain. That's the reason I don't tell people how to pronounce my name, (exept for nightwing) because I want to let people pronounce it the way they want to.
Kyrian

...So you know how to pronounce my name, and yet purposely do it wrong?
*raises eyebrow*
Renom

Muahaha!
The Chilli God

Hey, I purposely mispronounce Iames' name cuz my tongue's a lazy bugger.
Kyrain's just less syllable-intensive than Kyrian, to give an actual reason other than "Muahaha!".

...
My own name should be easy to pronounce. Spelling it, on the other hand...
I believe I've ranted about it before, but! A guy once wrote my name down as Chili Dog. And another wrote it down as the Chill of God. How do you get an 'of' out of my name?!
Osnagard

Oh my, well, here goes...

Osnagard Valhoulfnic

Oz-na-guard
(like the wizard - as in "no" - to protect)

Val-huelf-nick
(like the name - rhymes whith fuel+f - like the name)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Dranas

Dra-nass

------------------------------------------------------------------

Jorg Bjorn

Your-g B-yourn
Aikifox

I'll get in on this.

Ever since I figured out Ms. E's wordplay I pronounce it right Razz
Vael has always been Vale Smile
Soph never comes up...
Atreyu? I pronounce that as LLAMA! (usually with many exclamation points and copious pouncing) Or... AH! Tray Ewe!
Sots, you're easy. Wink (at least to pronounce)
Fen-Rick
EX-Ah-Chicks (but it looks to me like it should be pronounced as EEKS-a-chicks)
Iames, you don't come up I'll be honest Razz My bro's name is James, so I try to pronounce it as "eye-aims"
Hoe-Seck-ey (sorry >.< I probably buggered that one)

And...

Aikidu De'Laurent Veneanar

"Eye-KID-oo deh'LOR-on Vay-nay-na~rnaw" (<- That's a long R... like... a mix between OW and OR.. kinda like aah, in fact...)

Or just "Eye-Key Fawk-See" Wink Or Eye-Key Very Happy

       Enupnion Forum Index -> Chit-Chat
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum