Archive for Enupnion Keep on Dreaming
 


       Enupnion Forum Index -> The Games
The Chilli God

Barrow of the Forgotten King

Day 1
Kingsholm


The trading hub of Kingsholm has been blessed ever since it was founded many years ago (the exact number has been lost, although certain properties are claimed to have been passed down from father to son for over three hundred years). It benefits from strong relationships with the dwarven clans of the nearby hills and mountains, as well as being on the traveling path of a good number of passing halfling nomad groups.
Kingsholm also holds a graveyard, a great field of the deceased that some people believe predates the founding of the town itself. Its townspeople are very proud of this feature, and believe that the site - along with a magnificent statue of an ancient king a little over a mile north of the town - blesses Kingsholm with protection and care. Indeed, the town is far enough away from any possible regional conflict, and the community here is so closely-knit, that none of the townspeople here can ever remember Kingsholm being struck by tragedy of any serious sort.

Until recently, that is.

Events have occurred in the graveyard. Tragic but mysterious events that have led the town council to send word to all surrounding areas for outside assistance. All the rumors that spread like wildfire say that the tragedy has hit the town and its people hard, and all the messengers, all the notices that were sent by the council to taverns, guard-centres, and market squares of the other towns and cities, say to speak to Ian Turbrand, of the Coronet and Cabbage.

The Coronet and Cabbage itself is rather simple for an inn, to those that enter. The common room hosts an average number of tables and stools for patrons to rest and drink what troubles they have away. A fireplace sits in one corner, making the inn quite warm compared to outside at the moment. Aside from a couple of drunkards snoozing together at one side, and the waitresses that wait from behind the counter, the inn seems rather empty of activity.
Destro Yersul

The inn door swings open, and a man of average height enters. He is wearing a suit of shining full plate, embossed with the holy symbol of Heironeous. A smaller holy symbol hangs around his neck. Added to the longsword at his belt and the shield slung over one shoulder he is the very image of a knight in shining armour, right down to the relatively handsome features. Good day. My name is Locke, and I am looking for a man named Ian Turbrand.
helgraf

Word of the strange events had reached the ears of Argyle MacCundrum in the way that they usually did - when, exasperated with dealing with the man, some of the locals of the village he'd been patronizing (or patronzing to, it wasn't always clear which), shouted at him, "Well, why don't you go solve the problems at Kingsholm, if you're such an accomplished master! They certainly need a man of your unique talents more than we do around here." Well, that was the gist of it. To it was often appended colourful comments that gave the impression he was slightly less welcome than a case of buttock warts.

So it was that Argyle and and his boon companion Augustus came to be on the road to Kingsholm.

"Who knows, Augustus. Perhaps we'll meet some lovely ladies in durance vile to their overprotective suitors in Kingsholm. Maybe we'll even find you a Ms. Augustus," he laughed as he gave the rat a choice bit of aged cheddar. The rat took it in its forepaws and began to whittle it away with his extended incisors.

Coming into Kingsholm, he asked about for a place of uncommon accomodations, and was referred to a place with the rather unlikely name of the Coronet and Cabbage. Pushing open the wide door, the red-and-silver streak haired man, standing a half-hand less than six feet high, strode into the establishment, his boots clipping satisfactorially against the wooden floor.

Pale blue, slightly slanted eyes peered about the room, looking for an innkeep or proprietor. Said eyes also took in the serving staff, evaluating each in turn and making note of their more pleasing assets. "
What ho, good folk? I seek lodgings for the night and a meal, if it might be had!"

Among the guests, a man in full mail-of-plate caught his eye, and although he was not particularly familiar with the symbol upon his brow and the matching one upon his neck, he gathered the fellow was likely a militant priest or the like.
Artemis

A dark-haired elf sitting in the common room gives a calculating glance to Locke. She's dressed in dark brown leathers and would almost be pretty if it weren't for the pale scar running down the left side of her face. A backpack and a rapier lay on the ground next to her chair.
Deadly

The road had certainly been lively of late, messengers running back and forth and people everywhere passing on rumors and notes. Few of all these people took special note of the young elf trudging down the dusty road, most just passed by him without even realising that someone was there. Not that the elf was hiding, people, and in particular the busy humans, simply had a tendency to overlook the small man walking silently along the side of the road.

But the young elf was very much aware of everyone else, and the messages and rumors they passed on around him. Very few of the words escaped his ears as he turned down the road towards Kingsholm to find this Ian Turbrand.

***

The door to the inn opens slowly and the young elf slips in, unnoticed by most. His heavy white clothes clearly show the dust of the road, but his face and long white hair is otherwise remarkably tidy. He silently dusts himself off a bit and goes to stand off to the side against a wall, his white eyes watching the people in the room as he listens quietly.
The Chilli God

A commotion can he heard from the back room of the inn.
"I dinnae care if'n ye think that them what just walked in will do! Ye're just sendin' poor yun' lads ta their doom!" says a gruff voice that could only come from a dwarf.
"He right, Ian. Think this through," a strong feminine voice agrees with the dwarf.
"I have thought it through. Nobody else in Kingsholm is going up there. We simply don't have any powerful warriors or mages here. We need help from outside. Now, I'm going out there and I'm going to ask them! You'll see!"

A big, middle-aged man with a black, bushy mustache and an apron leads the way from out of the back room into the common room. He is quickly followed by a woman with auburn hair and wearing the uniform of the town guard, as well as a prosperous-looking dwarf man with a thick beard.
The middle-aged man points at all four of you lot before the waitress had the chance to reply to Locke's question or to Argyle's request.
"Are you mercenaries?" the big man asks. He glares at each one of you with dark eyes, as if challenging you to deny it. "Are you adventurers? We need brave and capable folk right now, and we're willing to pay!"
Deadly

Eladan blinks at the rather direct approach of the man, still not used to being among humans. But he did come here to see if he could offer his help, and he could certainly use the money and possible services of these people, so he speaks up I will help if I can. But what is it you need help with? There's a firmness in his voice, but the young elf doesn't really look like much.
The Chilli God

"Mia says we have trouble up in the old graveyard," the big man who looks every bit like an innkeeper replies, indicating the woman in uniform. She looks uncomfortable, and you sense fear coming from her and the dwarf, as well as the waitresses. "We need your help, and we need it now!"
Destro Yersul

I will certainly help. Locke removes his helmet, so that his face can be seen more clearly. It's simply respectful. The order of Heironeous has long assisted those in need. What is it you would have me do?
Artemis

The elf woman stands. "A journey into the crypts will require someone of my... talents." She smirks. "I will gladly offer my services, for the right price."
The Chilli God

The big man smiles and looks at the uniformed woman in a "told ya so" manner. He gestures to a table and invites you to sit down with him. The woman and the dwarf remain standing. "Oh, come on. You'll get tired legs if you keep standing around like that," he says to the two. The dwarf sits down beside the man, but the woman remains standing. "I don't like this," she says warily.
"You don't have to! I'm doing it for you!" the man replies.
He then turns to you lot. "Intro's first, so we don't have to keep on calling each other 'sir' or whatever. I'm Ian Turbrand, keeper of this here in, the enthusiastic lady," he says with exaggerated sarcasm as he gestures to the uniformed woman, "Is Captain Mia Desarna, and the dwarf--"
The dwarf interrupts him. "I be Gran Stoutbrace, owner o' the Kingsholm General Store. If'n ye're lookin' for anythin' 'round 'ere, I've got it," he states proudly.
Artemis

The elf joins the group at the table, measuring each with a look as they are introduced. After Gran makes his boast, she replies. "I believe I have everything I need, thank you." She then turns to Ian. "I am Celenia Nailo. What exactly is the trouble, Mr. Turbrand?"
Destro Yersul

Locke sits down as well, hanging his helmet off his belt. My name is Locke Dralor. I may need some more equipment, depending on the task at hand. He offers his gauntleted hand for Ian and Gran to shake. Mia too, if she's within arms reach.
helgraf

"I am no mercenary, but this talk of troubles has caught my interest," Argyle responded as he moved to stand behind one of the empty chairs. His gaze shifted a moment to regard the one called Mia, a lightly probing glance that lingered an extra breath before refocusing on the big, loud man accompanied by the shopkeep Gran.

"So, why don't you tell us about this trouble and let us worry about whether or not we're capable of addressing it, mmm?"
The Chilli God

Ian waits for a moment for the elf to respond with a name, but then continues on, not being one to hold up matters.
"Here's the thing. About a week ago, three of our townspeople went up to the Kingsholm graveyard to prepare a member of their family for internment in the graveyard's mausoleum. They didn't return, and when the family's servants told Mia here that they were missing, she sent two of her sentinels--"
Mia interrupts Ian, "They're the town guard around Kingsholm. I sent them up there to investigate, but they failed to return also. And I don't want to send more sentinels up there to just disappear."
"Yes," Ian says in a rather subdued voice. He seems shaken from this event as well. "It's... It's a tragedy to hit Kingsholm."
Deadly

Eladan Aerasumé Eladan greets the others briefly and joins them, but remains somewhat in the background, listening to what is said. This did sound like something he could possibly help with.
Artemis

Celenia leans back in her chair."Oh that is tragic." Although, the tone of her voice says she believes otherwise. "But discovering what happened to them will surely be a difficult endevor. I would like to be properly compensated for such an investigation." It's clear the scarred elf cares more for gold than the poor souls lost in the graveyard.
helgraf

"A troubling development to be sure. Perhaps with the aid of these fine others," Argyle gestured to Celenia, Eladan and Locke with a sweeping motion of his arm, "we might discover the nature of the unpleasantness that has afflicted yon fair barrow and put it to rights. Barring that, we should surely be able to determine the fates of your fellow townsfolk and special militia."

He paused a moment, left hand coming up to stroke bald chin briefly. "It does raise the question, however, of permissions regarding any spoils located whilst attempting to solve this dilemma for you. Are there any particular laws we should be aware of relating to such in this area?"
The Chilli God

Ian replies, "For my part, and on behalf of the town, I promise you fifty gold pieces each if you would walk up to the graveyard and have a look around to find out what happened to our townspeople. It isn't too much to ask of adventurers like yerselves, is it? Are we agreed?"
Mia shuffles while still remaining standing as she considers Argyle's question. It's an odd one, and Mia can't help but think that Argyle is planning to find loopholes around them. "The normal laws apply for the graveyard. No desecration of the dead, and no theft of either possessions buried with those who are interned in the graveyard and the mausoleum, or those left behind in remembrance to the deceased."
Deadly

Eladan listens to it all, then turns to Ian and nods I accept. I will go up there and see what can be found.
Destro Yersul

I have no issues with that. I too, will go.
Artemis

"Fifty gold just to look around, sure. But if this gets dangerous I expect some hazard pay." Celenia narrows her eyes at Ian.
The Chilli God

Encouraged by the response, Ian continues.
"I'll also pay you an additional five times that amount to go into the mausoleum and catch or destroy whoever or whatever defiled the place. That's a total of three hundred gold pieces each for the deed."
Gran puts his hand on Ian's shoulder. "Lad, ye sure that you wan'ta be offerin' that much?"
Ian doesn't reply, his offer still stands.
Deadly

Eladan nods after briefly considering the offer Very well.
Artemis

"Allow us to keep whatever we find that doesn't belong to the dearly departed, in addition to the 300 gold, and I think we have a deal."
Destro Yersul

Locke puts his helmet back on. It's settled then. When do we leave?
The Chilli God

Ian smiles, taking Celenia's counteroffer into acount. "Then we have a deal! You're free to undertake this task when you wish."
Mia juts in. "It should be soon, however. I would you leave for the graveyard promptly, myself, though if you require more information before you leave, I'm sure we'll be glad to provide to you what we know."
Artemis

Celenia stands and looks to Mia. "A map would be nice. I want to know what we're getting into."
Deadly

Eladan thinks for a while We're looking for five missing people in total, three townspeople and two guards, is that correct?
The Chilli God

Mia says, "I know the place by heart, I can draw a map for you within a short time. Excuse me." She nods to Ian, and walks out, presumably to go draw a map.
Ian answer's Eladan's question. "Indeed. The family's name is Yurling, and the missing sentinels were called... What were them, again?" Ian turns to Gran.
"Dornal an' Zer-somethin', I be thinkin'.
"Zeera. Dornal and Zeera are their names. Good sentinels they were, too."
"Aye. Well-trained, an' Mia did trust them s'well."
Deadly

Eladan nods You mentioned something about the mausoleum being defiled too. What is that about?
Artemis

Celenia watches Mia leave, then looks back to Ian, waiting for him to answer Eladan's question.
The Chilli God

[OOC]Ah, so that makes the first plot hole in here!
*Squirms*[/OOC]

"We suspect that the mausoleum is the place where the missing people had something happen to them, as that is where they were to go to prepare their deceased family member. If that is the case, then whoever or whatever is behind this will almost certainly have desecrated the resting places of those within."
"It's almost a-givin, eh! Ye never heard of people murderin' or kidnappin' others without at least some tomb-defilement afoot!"
Well, Ian wouldn't have put it that bluntly, but it is a point.
Deadly

((Sorry))

Eladan grimaces slightly at the bluntness, but nods Then we'd better get moving soon.
helgraf

"Tae dae seem a fair offer to us," Argyle replied. He took a small nut and held it near his nape as he felt Augustus squirm toward the surface, emerging just far enough to grab the proffered treat then wiggle back out of sight. As the woman left, Argyle waited to hear the answer about the defilement. A slight nod to himself as the answer was given.

"This mausoleum, tae protect the departed. Dae it hae any ... ahem ... security precautions we should be aware of afore we go traipsing in? Tae would be most unfortunate if'n we were to go investigate, good sir, only tae fall victim tae some defense meant tae deter tomb robbers afore we had the chance to solve the verra problem that you've hired us for."
Artemis

Celenia glances at Argyle. "We won't be needing to worry about any defense mechanisms, although knowing about them before hand would be helpful. Also, I'm curious, who exactly was being interred? It might have something to do with these odd occurances. Did they have any enemies, or any importance, here?" She directs her last string of questions towards Ian.
The Chilli God

Ian shakes his head at Argyle's question. "I don't know of any, but Mia will be able to answer that one for sure when she gets back.
As to the Yurlings themselves, I doubt that they were being targeted specifically. Their deceased was Gunar, the grandfather of the house. The Yurlings own a large farm in the prairie south of here. Everyone liked the Yurlings so far as I know. No enemies to speak of."
El Jaspero

The tavern's door bangs open and a large man in a dark, rough cloak steps in. Dull iron greaves show below the edge of his cloak, matching the gauntlets on his hands and the helmet under his arm. A close-cropped shock of rusty red hair stands up over black eyes set in a battered, narrow face.

He heads to a table, removing his cloak as he goes. He unshoulders a backpack and tosses it in the corner, then rests a greatsword against the table before sitting. "Ale, and food."
Deadly

Eladan watches the new arrival briefly before returning his attention to the conversation, once again deciding to stay silently in the background.
Artemis

Celenia nods as Ian explains about the family, then turns to regard the newcomer. When he maks his order she raises an eyebrow in his direction. "A little demanding, aren't we?"
El Jaspero

The armored man gives Celenia a sharp look. "What, are you the innkeeper? Mind your own business."
Artemis

"No, he's the inkeeper." She points to Ian, accross the table, then returns the man's glare. "And you are interrupting our business."
El Jaspero

The man chuckles. "Business, eh?" He looks around. "Seems like he already has plenty of serving girls, but then again...maybe another would speed things up a bit."
The Chilli God

Ian gestures to a waitress to fill the order, and she does so rather quickly, giving the big man a mug of ale and the morning's special (Lets say, some thin slices of cooked ham with light seasoning, and a side-dish of boiled potato). Ian looks the man over, and almost says something to him in insult, but doesn't. He ends up asking the group, "Ignore him for now. Is there anything else you need to know?"

Mia walks back into the Coronet and Cabbage, holding a piece of parchment. She sighs before walking over to behind Ian, and saying "I've managed to draw out a rough plan of the mausoleum, but I want your solemn word - all of you! - that you will not use this piece of parchment for the purposes of grave-robbing, before I give it to you. With all of the events happening recently, tomb-looters are the last thing I want."
El Jaspero

Gaarth hands the server a few silvers for the meal and digs in while keeping an eye and ear tuned to the group at the bar.
Artemis

The scarred elf is shooting daggers at Gaarth as she moves to retrieve her bag off the floor. She pulls out a scroll case then holds out a hand to Mia, waiting for the map. "I promise I will take nothing from those who are interred in the mausoleum."
helgraf

"Tae be asuren, an yer departed dead leave us be, then I sha' leave them be a' well. I hae no care tae play with th' dead."

Argyle bobs his head slightly, listening to Mia. He carefully repeated the question he'd asked Ian earlier to her now.

"This mausoleum, tae protect the departed. Dae it hae any ... ahem ... security precautions we should be aware of afore we go traipsing in? Tae would be most unfortunate if'n we were to go investigate, good lass, only tae fall victim tae some defense meant tae deter tomb robbers afore we had the chance to solve the verra problem that you've hired us for."
El Jaspero

Gaarth gives the elf a dismissive sneer, then drinks a wash of his ale. Hired to solve a problem. Interesting. He nods to the server, hoping to catch her attention and wave her over.
Destro Yersul

You have my word. The possessions of the dead shall not be touched. Locke glances over at Gaarth. He wonders briefly who he is, but dismisses the thought.
Deadly

You have my word as well. I shall not disturb the dead, or touch their possessions. Eladan vows. He certainly had no intentions of breaking the vow, the thought of getting close enough to the dead to steal their possessions didn't appeal much to him.
The Chilli God

Mia nods, satisfied enough, then hands the piece of parchment to Ian, who unfurls it out on the table.



"The part of the mausoleum to the right side of the line is underground. I know that the only room with any serious protection or security is the one marked with the 'X'. A rather powerful mage rests there. However, we don't know what whoever or whatever is behind this has done since. The entire place could have changed."
Ian agrees with both the map and Mia's description of it with a nod.

One of the waitresses notices Gaarth's beckoning, and walks over. "Is there something I can help you with?"
Artemis

Celenia looks over and examines the map. "It seems straight forward enough, and I doubt we'll need to enter the Mage's Tomb, unless it's causing all of this."
Deadly

Eladan just nods slightly as he looks over the map
El Jaspero

Gaarth puts two more silvers in the waitress' hand. "Information. Your boss, Ian. He's hiring people. What for?"
The Chilli God

"Well... It's a tragedy that's happened to Kingsholm, here. The graveyard. Since last week, nobody who went up there came back. Ian's getting that group to go up to the graveyard and put a stop to whatever is causing the disappearances," the waitress replies with a hushed voice as though any loud mention of the event would be an ill omen against her.

Mia looks rather... impatient? desperate? worried? Something like that. "So, you have your information. When will you leave for the mausoleum? Right now?"
Deadly

Eladan nods and looks between the rest I'm ready to go.
Artemis

"As am I" Celenia agrees. She then moves to roll up the map and store it in the case in her hand.
El Jaspero

"Huh. Well, heroics doesn't usually pay well. But at least it pays." Gaarth stands, picking up his sword and pack. "Thank you, miss."

The big fighter strides up to the bar, shouldering his pack. "Ian. You've a problem, and I can help you solve it." He waits, leaning his greatsword on his shoulder.
The Chilli God

Ian turns around in his seat to face Gaarth with a welcoming expression. "I was wondering when you'd offer your services, lad. Strength in numbers, after all. I'll offer you the same as the others here - fifty gold pieces just to check around the graveyard and find out what happened, and three hundred if you go into the mausoleum and catch or kill whoever or whatever is behind the disappearances. Agreed? The others here seem just about to leave for it, which is good news to my ears!" Ian seems quite relieved that the problem will soon be over, and Kingsholm can go back to its carefree ways.
Artemis

Celenia rolls her eyes. "Wonderful. Well just so you know. We've all agreed not to take anything from the deceased in th mausoleum, and I think you should do the same, if you're going to join us." She narrows her eyes att Gaarth. He's not getting away with loot I can't touch.
El Jaspero

"That's the best offer I've had since the borderlands settled down. It'll do." Gaarth shoulders his blade. "Might as well get started."
Destro Yersul

I'm ready. Let's get going! Locke shoulders his pack and stands near to the door, waiting for the others.

He likes being heroic, apparently.
Artemis

Celenia picks up her pack and rapier and follows after. "Yes, let's get this over with."
helgraf

Argyle agrees with the others, but pauses briefly.

"Good lady, what can ye tell us of the mage who was buried there? It be my fondest hope that we will not need to penetrate that portion of the tomb in order to stop the menace to your fair community, but shouldst that hope be dashed, it may do us well to know more of the nature of the man - or woman; many a fine woman has proven a shrewd master of the art of magery; who rests interred therein."
The Chilli God

Mia blinks, then replies. "Verduun and Gola Mikolos is what the door to their tomb is marked, though I know not who they may have been, aside from mages of some description. Most likely a married pair. But, as well as you, I do also hope that their tomb can be avoided during your investigation. I hope you complete it soon, in any case. Gods speed, adventurers," she finishes, noticing that the party seems to be off, now.
"Gods speed as well." Ian echoes.
Gran nods before standing up. "Come back te us in one piece, 'kay?"
Deadly

Eladan follows Locke silently. Despite his silent and unseeable nature, he prefers to stay up front where he can actually see something, and Locke seemed the type to want to lead the way.
El Jaspero

Gaarth barks a laugh. "Of course I'm coming back. How else would I get paid?" He pushes the door open and heads out into the yard.
Destro Yersul

I'll make sure of it. Locke waves and pushes the door open, heading outside.
Artemis

Celenia follows quietly, not looking pleased that Gaarth is coming. Oh well, I can always use someone between me and the danger.
The Chilli God

You are now: Outside.
*Gasp!*

Lots of things to do while outside. There's random townspeople to question, as well as general shops to buy stuff from, or graveyards to go and loot-- I mean! To investigate.
El Jaspero

Gaarth looks at his companions. "One of you does know where we're headed, right?"
Artemis

Celenia smirks. "Of course I do." She twirls the thin map-tube in her fingers, almost mocking him.
helgraf

Argyle laughs, following the lady with the map. He feels well enough equipped that a trip to the local market should be unneccesary. However, if the group tarries for any tasks, he will take some time to talk with the townsfolk, help out with small tasks and the like, and see if he can learn anything of interest while doing so.
El Jaspero

Gaarth nods. "Good. Then lead on."
Deadly

Eladan just follows along silently.
Artemis

"Very well." Celenia says as she leads them all to the mausoleum, unless we find something exciting along the way.
The Chilli God

[OOC]Well, Destro's on holiday until this time next week, and didn't leave behind instructions for Locke.
Two choices: either I'll NPC his character for the week, or we try and get as far as we can now without needing Locke to do anything other than follow?[/OOC]

Something exciting on the way? If you count the cemetery gate as being exciting, then there it is!

Ivy winds its way up the iron bars of the cemetery gate. No rust discolors the black metal, and flowers blossom near the wall. Beyond that wall, you see a gravel walkway that weaves its way up through groomed grass and white tombstones. A few statues rise up along the hillside, their gray features gleaming in the sun.
The gate is open.
El Jaspero

((I'd propose we get as far as we can, and then if we need Locke, you NPC him as reasonably as possible.))

Gaarth steps up to the gates. "Isn't this supposed to be dangerous? This place looks pretty well-kept." He eyes Celenia. "Is this even the right graveyard?"
Artemis

((I agree with El Jaspero, I have a feeling we'll need our cleric to do something, being in a graveyard and all.))

She narrows her eyes at Gaarth. "Of course it's the right graveyard. How many of them do you think this town has?" She then turns and walks through the gate.
helgraf

Argyle snickers to himself - he finds the slightly snarky lass' banter quite amusing personally. He whistles the first few bars of a bawdy sea chanty as he follows along.
Deadly

Eladan keeps an eye out as he follows, silent as usual and not paying much attention to the bickering of the two others.
El Jaspero

"Clearly you've never been to the borderlands." Gaarth steps through the gate as well.
helgraf

Argyle shook his head slightly. "There's a Keep out that way, toward the Borderlands, aye? And some once-famous caves, I hear tell. All cleared out now, o'course, what with the scores of adventurers that went through 'em with torch, spell and steel."
El Jaspero

Gaarth shrugs. "Might be. There's lots of borders, and lots of keeps." He grins darkly. "Usually plenty of wars, too."
The Chilli God

[OOC]Heh, forgot to shove in this visual aid.
There's lots of inconsistencies in it, though (Eg: The gate's shut), so don't use the picture to decide on your actions[/OOC]



The graveyard appears old but lovingly cared for. Fresh gravel covers the path and flowers, not weeds, grow beside the tombstones.
A narrow path winds its way up the hill toward a large structure flanked by ancient, life-sized statues of a warrior and a priest. From your position this far away from the mausoleum, you can see two humanoids lying sprawled on the mausoleum's steps. Dark liquid seems to seep out from under the bodies, and beyond them, the doors to the mausoleum are open.
Artemis

Celenia see the bodies and stows the map case in her bag before drawing her rapier. She keeps her eyes and ears open for any enemies. "Should I scout ahead and find out what we're up against?"

((I trust you to make any spot or listen roles I may need. I'm not used to online dice rollers just yet.))
Deadly

Eladan narrows his eyes as he spots the bodies. Not a good sign I can go with you. Doesn't hurt to have two pair of eyes to scout with.
Artemis

Celenia nods, and if no one stops her, moves off quietly. She sticks to just left of the path, using gravestones as cover when she can. the elf continues to watch and listen for anything that may be out there.
Deadly

Eladan doesn't stop her, as he follows her silently, staying down and keeping eyes and ears out for anything.
El Jaspero

"Suit yourself." Gaarth holds back by the gates, but draws his sword in case something interesting crops up.
The Chilli God

Celenia and Eladan didn't get far at all before Eladan perceives movement at the feet of the statues. Two pairs of feral eyes gleam out at you from behind the graven images. Wolves! Another darker wolf-shape roams farther away, among the nearby gravestones, which Eladan can also see.
Locke also notices the wolves, but not the darker wolf-shape.
The rest of you don't see anything unless it's pointed out to you by either Locke or Eladan.

Spoiler:



Welcome to the Chilli-Style Battle Grid that we'll be getting familiar with throughout the course of this adventure!
Post your first round's actions (as well as your initiative if you want to do it yourself), either using the handy-dandy grid reference, or just by giving a general position of your movement.
Assuming that Eladan and Locke are going to tell everyone about the wolves, there's no surprise round.

Fellows:

C = Celenia
E = Eladan
G = Gaarth
L = Locke
A = Argyle

W1 & W2 = Wolves. No check required, okay?
Wo = (Knowledge [Arcane] Check, DC >10 )
B1 & B2 = Bodies ; X.X = In negative hitpoints (unconscious or dead)

Features:

Graves: Cost two squares of movement to enter, and provide cover.
Statues: Cost two squares of movement to enter (can't end your movement on a statue-square unless you want to climb it), and provide cover.
Steps: They ascend 5 feet up. If you're on top of them, you get +1 to hit against those that aren't.

Geddit on!

El Jaspero

((So...roll for initiative then?))
The Chilli God

[OOC]If you want to. Or you could let me do it.
Either way, post your actions and when everyone who can has posted, they'll be organized in order of initiative.
Make sure to include your if's, when's, and buts. Wink [/OOC]
helgraf

Argyle's reaction is simple:
Move Action: Draw Light Crossbow
Move Action: Load Light Crossbow
5-foot step to A-13
Also, if I have line of sight, free action:
Knowledge: Arcana check (Skill Total +7) on the figure marked Wo
Artemis

If the wolves are pointed out to her, Celenia will trade her rapier for her longbow and shoot at Wolf 1. I hope that's not too many actions.
Deadly

Eladan points out the 3 wolves to Celenia and signals the others that something is up ahead (or tells them if speaking that loudly would be safe), while summoning his mind blade (move action). Unless stopped, he then moves forward to E10 (5-foot step) and throws his mindblade at W1 (standard action)
El Jaspero

If Gaarth is notified of the wolves before his initiative tick, he'll charge the closest one he has a clear path to and smash it mightily. If he doesn't have a clear path and one is within 20 feet, he'll take a single move and attack it. If he can't get to a wolf with a single move he'll take a double move to get to it. If he's not alerted to the wolves before his initiative, he'll stand there looking stupid.
The Chilli God

Celenia can trade her longbow for her rapier, but only if she drops the rapier to the ground (Free Action) - otherwise, re-sheathing it (Move Action) doesn't leave her with enough to draw the longbow and fire.
I'm going to assume she drops the rapier (though picking it up again will provoke AoO's), so she shoots one of the wolves. The arrow pings off of the stone statue right in front of the wolf (14), but is not broken by the impact.

Unfortunately, Eladan has similar results with his mindblade toss, it's a little too far to the left and would have hit the wolf, if it weren't for the statue (15).

Luckily for them, the wolves are now coming out from behind the statues. One of the two makes a beeline straight for Eladan, and leaps onto him with a vicious maw (3 damage), and also manages to bowl Eladan over with the charge (10 vs 9 Trip check).
The other wolf doesn't run straight in, but it takes its time in getting to Celenia, and attacks her with its bite, but the lithe elf manages to dodge out of the way.

Argyle recognizes the darker wolf in the background as a Worg. These creatures are stronger and smarter than the average wolf, and are usually well-known for pack tactics. From this distance, however, the worg appears to be rather young.
Either way, he has his light crossbow at the ready. There's a lot of friends in the way, though...

Gaarth is by now well-aware of the wolves coming to eat the group, and there's a nice little cubby spot where he can get in on the action against both wolves at once. He charges the nearest wolf (20) and smashes it mightily indeed! (12 damage) The wolf that had attacked Celenia is looking severely hurt from that single attack, but is just barely keeping it together.

Locke approaches the nearest wolf to him (the one that was already mightily-smashed), and tries to smash it mightily again (7), but misses mightily instead.

The worg in the background thinks that now is a good time to strike, so it quickly moves around the scene of battle and comes up to just behind Locke, ready to strike soon.

Spoiler:



P = Prone

Initiative Order:
Celenia (25)
Eladan (20)
Wolves
Argyle (14)
Gaarth (Cool
Worg
Locke (1)

Artemis

This is probably going to hurt but...

Celenia's going to drop the bow and pick up her rapier and then try to move into a flanking position with Locke square B8
Deadly

Eladan winces as he's thrown to the ground. He quickly resummons his blade (move) and tries to jab at W1 (standard, -4 to attack). Not a good situation, but hopefully that wolf will jump right on his blade... it's seen before... according to the bards, atleast

       Enupnion Forum Index -> The Games Page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum