Archive for Enupnion Keep on Dreaming
 


       Enupnion Forum Index -> The Games
The Chilli God

Barrow of the Forgotten King II

Recapping...

A balcony on the west wall overlooks this wide room, which is lower and cooler than the previous areas you've explored, and a steep staircase leads from the balcony's north side into the chamber. Atop that stairway is a closed stone door. Swiftly flowing water runs in a canal that flows south to north through the area, and the moisture has made the room damp, the walls and floor slick with malodorous subterranean fungus. A narrow bridge crosses the canal at the foot of the stairs from the balcony. Flanking the canal on the east and west are rows of statues depicting shieldbearing soldiers saluting with their drawn swords. On the east side of the canal, two of the statues are shattered. Nearby lie the bodies of two humanoids.

---

[Heal Check 24] Novia is able to determine that one of the humanoids (who, now that she gets a close look, look a lot like the strange tall goblinoids from before) died of hypothermia. It seems as though the other person died the same way.

Delgar finds a lot of phat lewt on his body masterwork studded leather, masterwork scimitar, a shortbow and 7 arrows, a satchel, a glass vial, and some jewelry. It seems as though the other body contains the same treasure.

Spoiler:

helgraf

"I can see a door at the top of those stairs," Morningmist rumbles, pointing toward the east wall and the door that can currently only be seen with darkvision or low-light vision dur to the placement of the torch.  "Should we perhaps investigate that, or do you wish to look around this chamber a bit more?  I must admit to some curiosity as to the statues and whether the dead creatures smashed them for some purpose - and whether their mischief directly resulted in the manner of their deaths.  Perhaps someone more knowledgeable might be able to tell us something about the statues?"

Morningmist will peer into the water.
Deadly

Kerri looks around a bit passively while the others search Perhaps searching this room well would be a good idea. It's rather odd, I think she says, knowing that she can't help much with that
Artemis

Novia frowns. "This is strange. It looks like he froze to death, but I don't think it's nearly cold enough in here for that."
The Chilli God

As Morningmist stares into the water, she is surprised to find that it is staring back at her!
A graceful serpent of clear water rises from the canal, making a sound that resembles bubbling speech. It seems to say, "More intruders. Leave this place the way you came, or face the price of your folly, as have those before you."
The water spirit makes no move to attack just yet. It seems open to talk.

Spoiler:



WW: Water Spirit thingy needs Knowledge (Arcana) to identify.



[OOC]Also, Destro & El J, you may want to consider ways to get your character sheets. I believe you actually have to log on to Tangled Web to retrieve them.[/OOC]
helgraf

The Chilli God wrote:
As Morningmist stares into the water, she is surprised to find that it is staring back at her!
A graceful serpent of clear water rises from the canal, making a sound that resembles bubbling speech. It seems to say, "More intruders. Leave this place the way you came, or face the price of your folly, as have those before you."
The water spirit makes no move to attack just yet. It seems open to talk.


Morningmist hides her startlement quickly.  "We hae nae wish tae disturb the rightful rest of those interred here, but seek to find those who have raised the bones of the departed into undead abomination, to prevent them from further defiling these grounds with their unholy powers."

((This said, someone - anyone - else should be doing this.  Morningmist has a Diplomacy score of -1 ))
Deadly

Kerri blinks, a bit surprised as the serpent rises. Then quickly agrees with Morningmist That is true. We are not here to defile or steal, but to hunt down those who would. Not that her +2 to diplomacy is such a big difference. But she doesn't have to even bluff in this case.

Of course, she is a little better at bluffing than at diplomacy. Even better at intimidation, but that should probably be saved for the last option.
The Chilli God

[Diplomacy check 18] The serpentine water creature nods slightly at the mention of the 'defilers,' and says after Morningmist and Kerri have presented their case, "Very well. If you pursue those who have thwarted me, good luck on your quest. Leave me."
The spirit then retreats back into the canal and disappears in the water the without a trace, leaving the group free to go wherever they please.

Wow, what an exciting encounter!
helgraf

((Hey, it's nice to be able to avoid a fight now and again. Wink))
Deadly

((Sometimes. Not too often, though. Action is needed too Smile))

Kerri shrugs What an odd thing, but we seem to have uncovered the mystery of this room and the bodies there. Let's move on. she says and does so, going to investigate the door on top of the stairs
Destro Yersul

Probably made 't mad by destroying the statues. Delgar is busy stuffing jewelry into the satchel he found on that corpse. It seems he's foregone the scimitar once again in favour of his longsword.

What can I say, he likes the shinies.
The Chilli God

The jewelry on that one corpse is worth about 100g. Delgar might not know that, but his player should.

Kerri checks the door to the east of the room. The door is solid stone, closed, and locked as well.
El Jaspero

((Sorry...I'm on the road again.   I'll work on getting Haemus when I get back this weekend.))
helgraf

Morningmist rumbled irritably at the discovery of another locked stone door.

"Times like this, do you know what I wish I had on me?  Acid.  Alchemist's Fire is all very good, but it doesn't do squat against stone or metal hardly worth thinking about.  A good full flask of acid, though, you can eat through a lock with that right proper, s'long as you don't mind the stench of it.  Do any of you happen to have some, maybe?"
Deadly

Surely we should try picking it first before wasting valuable acid Kerri says, while glancing down the corridor they didn't come from
Destro Yersul

Don't have 'ny 'cid, but I can have a go 't that with a lockpick.

Which he does.
The Chilli God

And it seems as though this door is just as stubborn as the last one, as Delgar finds himself unable to successfully pick the lock.
Deadly

Kerri sighs and kicks the door slightly I suppose we'll have to bash this one down too... or waste a bottle of acid
The Chilli God

*Nudges at the huge-ass quantity of unknown vials in a sack obtained from last looting*
helgraf

"Hmmm, maybe that fellow we killed earlier had something on him that might do the trick ... in that massive collection of vials?"
Destro Yersul

Maybe, but 'm not tasting them to find out what's what. Delgar finds the sack of vials and starts looking through it. None 'f these 're 'ven labeled...
Artemis

"We're looking for acid, right? Maybe just drip a little on the ground." Novia suggests.
helgraf

"Better yet - drip it on the lock.  If the lock starts melting, keep pouring."
Destro Yersul

'lright, we'll try that. Delgar picks a vial at random, uncorks it, and lets a little of the contents drip onto the locking mechanism of the door. If it starts reacting in a generally destructive way, he'll dump the rest on it.
The Chilli God

The first vial that Delgar randomly selected is... Alchemist's fire.
Luckily, being a savvy dungeon explorer, Delgar knows alchemist's fire when he sees it, so he doesn't uncork the vial and blow himself up.
Deadly

Kerri hmms and decides to step a bit away from the zone of experimenting... and goes down that corridor they didn't come from, to see if there's anything down there. Just to pass time and get away from any possible explosions or poison gasses.
Destro Yersul

'k, not that 'ne. Though I might throw 't 't the next gribbly we come 'cross. He picks another one to try, preferably different looking than the first.
The Chilli God

This second vial, containing a fizzy blue liquid, doesn't do anything when dripped over the lock. Probably a magic potion or something.
Delgar rules out any vial that looks like that second one, and picks out another vial. This one causes the lock to hiss slightly. Delgar may have just found his acid.

Kerri walks along the balcony on the east side of the room. The wall on the inside of the balcony only reaches about 2-1/2 feet high so Kerri has a nice view of the whole room. Other than that, though, there's nothing much else of interest.
Destro Yersul

Might have 't. Delgar empties the one that hisses on the lock, and another that looks like it if that one isn't enough.
Deadly

Kerri walks back, but keeps a distance to the supposed acid
The Chilli God

One of two things happen: either the lock falls off completely, or the lock has gotten its inner workings munted by the acid enough for Delgar to finish the lock off with his lockpick. It depends on whether or not the lock is part of the door itself, the book never said.

Either way, the door is now unlocked and can be opened as soon as one of you is brave enough to do it.
helgraf

Morningmist nods in amusement.  "Told ye," she muttered under her breath, then opened the door.
The Chilli God

The door opens without any further hassle.
This area beyond is a hall stretching from the southwest to the northeast. Statues along the eastern wall represent different figures, and each one is placed in front of a vault door. The  nearest portrays a human wizard, holding her staff aloft. Second is a dwarf cleric brandishing a symbol of Moradin. The third and fourth are twin elves, one an archer aiming a bow and the other a warrior wielding a rapier and a dagger. A single stone door is set near the center of the western wall.
The hallway continues into the darkness for most of you, but Morningmist can see with her low-light vision that there are statues appearing to be made of black onyx, to the east and west of an eastern stone door at the end of the hallway. Depicting human warriors, they hold halberds crossed above the door.

Spoiler:

helgraf

"Methinks there be a theme to this chamber," Morningmist mused as she crossed the threshold and began moving toward H6 in a defensive posture (full defense, which is also why she's only moving as far as H6).
Deadly

Kerri hmms and follows Morningmist to H7
Destro Yersul

What sort 'f theme? Delgar is right behind them, with his sword and torch.
helgraf

"Ehm.  Sort of a ... classical theme.  Y' 'ave your mage, your priest, your roguish/scoutish types ... and a pair of big solid bruiser warrior types flank the door y' cannae see yet.  The fact that the other door lacks any such guardian actually strikes me as worrisome."
The Chilli God

Just to be sure, nothing bad has happened to the group yet.
helgraf

Morningmist will move toward L10 along the diagonal in full defensive posture.  If the torchlight doesn't let normal folks see that far, she'll stop in the last square they consider brightly lit along that path.
The Chilli God

Morningmist moves without obstruction further down the hallway, stopping outside the un-'protected' door.
Delgar also moves forward so he can keep her within his torchlight. He can now also see the dim outlines of the soldiers at the end of the hallway that Morningmist was talking about. So can the rest of the group, provided they move up a bit.

Spoiler:

Destro Yersul

Maybe it's not a tomb, 'nd 'll the 'thers 're. Would make sense, having statues 'f the deceased 'utside their final resting spot, 's guards, but 'f there's no-one buried 'n there... Delgar shrugs.
Artemis

Novia nods in agreement. "It could simply lead to another room, which might hold more burial chambers." She suggests, following behind the others.

((Move to H6 just to keep up))
helgraf

((Hold position in full defensive for now))

"So, suggest we check out the 'unguarded' door," she inquires with a jerk of thumb toward the door she stood near, "first?"
Deadly

Kerri moves to K10, eyeing the statues warily as she goes I agree, lets see what is behind this door first.
Destro Yersul

Who wants to bet this 'nes locked too? Delgar grins at the door and tries to open it.
The Chilli God

All bets are off. The door opens without a hitch.
It leads to a corridor that has some stairs going downwards, turning at several points until it looks as though it's heading westwards.

Spoiler:

helgraf

"Hrmm."

Morningmist paused as she considered the room again.

"These four doors ... th' statue is placed direct in front of.  Tae suggest th' doors would hae no need to be opened.  Liken might each be just a sort of standing coffin or th' like for th' remains of th' one interred.  But this door over here ... i' flanked by two statues tha' dae nae obstruct the door proper; perhap' suggesting what beyond might be a grander affair, a tomb or chamber of importance.  As for th' stairs, call it bein' old fashioned, if y' like, but I prefer tae check out all of a given area before I set off into what could be an entire new sector."

((Also, full defensive, 5 foot step to M10 if it's large enough for a player to move into.))
Deadly

Kerri nods very slightly. For some reason, likely not much of a reason at all, she didn't like being in agreement with Morningmist. But then, the half-giant did have a point. I suppose we should examine the other doors here first.
Destro Yersul

Makes perfect sense to me. Don't want to be waltzing 'ff down staircases with potential 'nkown gribblies 't our backs, now do we?
The Chilli God

Yes, but nobody's jumping up to the chance to open up those vault doors and risk the ire of the dead, now do they?
El Jaspero

[[gribblies?   nice one!]]
helgraf

"Sae.  Should we open th' door there," pointing to the door flanked by two statues, "or no?"
Artemis

"We can always go down the stairs later. Let's see what's behind the other door."
The Chilli God

Ah, but everybody's too scared to open the 'guarded' door for themselves as well, it seems.
helgraf

((In the interests of moving the bloody game along...))

Morningmist approaches the door in full defensive (round 1)

Morningmist, in full defensive again, uses a move action to try and open the door (round 2)

Obviously, if something attacks at any point during these proceedings, we'll have to play it by ear.
The Chilli God

The good news is, nothing nasty surprises Morningmist as she tries to open the door.
The bad news is, the door is locked.
Deadly

Kerri follows behind Morningmist slowly and stands there. Another locked door, it seemed. Kerri thinks to herself that it would be so much easier if they had keys.
Artemis

Whatever did happen to that keyring?
Destro Yersul

((Which keyring? Delgar might have it, but I forget...))
The Chilli God

The keyring? Why, that was left behind with the old party.
Not that this party'd know that, but that's where it is.
Artemis

So back in the pit with the water and the beasty? Joy...

Novia frowns. "Why bother to lock things hidden behind a secret door?"
Deadly

Kerri shrugs Perhaps things will make more sense when we get further into this place. One can always hope.
Destro Yersul

Because the people who built this place were suspicious twitchy buggers? 'nywasy, not so secret that we can't find 't. Delgar goes hunting through his bags for his lockpicks. Hadn't worked for the previous doors, but it was only a matter of time before they found one with a shoddy enough lock.

Failing that, he'll see if there's another vial of acid somewhere in that satchel.
The Chilli God

Only a matter of time, yes, but that time isn't now. The lock is the same as all the other stubborn locks, and won't budge.
Delgar tries to find a vial of acid amongst all the other vials in the bag of vials, but it looks like there was only one of them in there (which was the one they already used), and Delgar can't find any more of them in the bag.

Doors. The bane of all inquisitive adventurers.
helgraf

"Well, there's always the slow and noisy method," Morningmist observed with a bit of annoyance.  "So, do we want to bash / hack our way through or go downstairs after all?"
Deadly

Kerri reaches for her flail Might as well get this one over with now that we're here, right?
Destro Yersul

'ctually, now that I think 'f 't, Probably not the best of'deas. We did say we wouldn't defile 'ny tombs 'r 'nything like that, 'fter 'll. Let 't stay locked.
El Jaspero

Haemus nods.  We might find keys later, one never knows.   Best to leave the tombs be, while we can.
Deadly

Kerri shrugs and puts her flail away I doubt they meant this place, though. I find it highly unlikely that those townsfolk know of this place at all, the way it was hidden she says and draws her falchion again But we can always return if we find nothing the other way she says and heads back on to the first door
The Chilli God

The first door(way) is still there, awaiting someone to walk through it.
Artemis

Well, then, Let's have Novia head for the open door.
helgraf

Morningmist rumbled in mild irritation, but nodded assent.

"'y.  Let's bloody well be going already."
Deadly

Kerri waits for Novia to go through the door, then follows behind, once again prefering to have someone at her front and back in case of traps or ambushes.
helgraf

Morningmist will follow Kerri, confident in her ability to get to the front line if needs be.
Destro Yersul

And Delgar goes with them, muttering about inadequate tools.
The Chilli God

Just before Novia goes through the door, her wolf makes a warning growl. It's probably caught a scent down there, one it doesn't like.
Her wolf might be right, because Novia can hear someone moving up the corridor. Whoever it is, though, it won't catch her off-guard.
Deadly

Kerri pauses at the wolf's growling and tightens her grip on her sword Something down there? she asks quietly, mostly directed at Novia
Artemis

"Someone's coming." Novia whispers in return, moving back to try hide behind the doorframe, or at least out of sight of anyone coming up the corridor. She signals for her wolf to get back as well.
helgraf

(("Move Silently" to M11.  Assume Full Defensive Posture))
The Chilli God

A tall, ratlike humanoid dressed in black leather studded with dark iron leaps from the shadows of the downstairs corridor, a black cloak and long hair trailing behind. Its rapier and prominent fangs flash as it rushes in.

Novia would immediately recognize this humanoid as a lycanthrope, a humanoid afflicted with or born with a disease that grants them the ability to change partly or fully into another animal - in this case, a rat. The creature's wounds heal almost immediately if they are not caused by a weapon made of silver, and their bite can transfer this disease.

Spoiler:



Foes
Wr - Wererat.

Features
Statues: Cost 2 squares of movement to enter, cannot end movement in a statue unless climbing it (Climb DC 15).
Gradual Stairs: Gain +1 to hit against opponents on lower ground.

Finally, more fighting! =D

helgraf

((Ahh, crap ... no silver weapons in my stash.  This is gonna be a bad fight for Morningmist.))

If/when informed of the nature of the foe, Morningmist will pull out a flask of alchemist fire (move action) and hold an action to launch it at the creature when she can see it.  She'll take a free action before to say, "Bastard'll burn well enough though."
Artemis

>.> A little retroactively...

"Lycanthrope. Only silver can wound them, and for gods' sakes, don't get bitten." Novia warns.
Deadly

Kerri frowns Next thing I buy'll be a silver sword. She will wait until it gets within reach, then she'll lash out at it with her sword. Best to test the enemy a little before resorting to special attacks
Destro Yersul

Delgar doesn't have much in the way of a method to damage it either, so he'll be off to the side a bit, digging through that bag of his for some of that alchemist's fire he noticed earlier. Fur burns well, y'see.
El Jaspero

Haemus eyes the critter nervously, but readies his axe in case it proves hostile.
The Chilli God

It proves hostile.

Round 1

Novia's wolf growls louder and bars its teeth, as if wanting to be let loose against this opponent.

Delgar steps off to the side and finds what he's looking for in the bag after a bit of searching - a flask of alchemist's fire.

The wererat finishes rushing up the stairs, bringing everyone into view, and stabs out at Kerri with its rapier, an attack which catches her off-guard and almost punctures a critical point in her body [6 damage]. The wererat also tries to bite her with its exaggerated ratlike teeth, but Kerri is able to fend off that attack rather easily.

Kerri responds with trying to slice the wererat up with her sword, [To hit 12] but the wererat is able to dodge the attack.

Morningmist retrieves a flask of alchemist's fire from her own personal supply, and is ready to throw it at the wererat.

Haemus might want to do a bit more than ready his axe at this stage.

Spoiler:



Wolf (Init 17): 10/13 hp
Novia (Init 15): 16/16 hp
Delgar (Init 14): 14/14 hp
Wererat: Unwounded
Kerri (Init 12): 21/21 hp
Morningmist (Init 4): 11/11 hp
Haemus (Init 3): 18/18 hp

Artemis

Novia signals for her wolf to attack, then takes a good grip on her staff and tries to whack the wererat over the head.
helgraf

[Free Action] Morningmist growls out, "Fire inna hole!" and

[Standard Action] throws the alchemist fire at the creature, trying to score a direct hit.  

[5-Foot Step] to M10.
Deadly

Kerri is in a bit of an unfortunate situation, and the stab didn't make her any happier. She responds with a scream, letting out that anger in a sonic assault on the wererat ((Sonic Energy Ray))
Destro Yersul

Seconded.

Delgar throws his vial of Alchemist's fire as well, hoping his aim isn't off.
The Chilli God

Terribly sorry for the wait.

Round 2

Novia's wolf holds back no more, and launches itself against the wererat. [To hit 17] However, the cunning opponent is able to fend off the wolf's attack.

Novia herself tries to whack the wererat over the head with her staff. [To hit 13] However, she meets with little success as her attack is dodged.

Delgar (whos name is most certainly not Deckard) throws his alchemist's fire at the wererat. [Touch To hit 16] He manages to hit the enemy square on [3 Fire damage], and sets part of its body on fire. Some of the volatile substance splashes the surrounding area, burning those adjacent to the wererat, including Novia, Novia's wolf, and Kerri [1 fire damage].

The wererat responds by ignoring the fire and lashing out at Kerri again. It is able to get a hit with its rapier against Kerri [5 damage]. It also tries to bite Kerri, but she is able to fend off that attack. It then finds an opening spot to move to, and deftly steps there, closer to where the statues are.

Kerri responds by unleashing a scream of concentrated fury, which assaults the wererat. [Touch to hit 17] The wererat is blasted back a bit by the unexpected move [3 sonic damage].

Morningmist calls her warning out before tossing her vial of alchemist's fire into the mix. [Touch to hit 8] However, the wererat is able to avoid being hit by this vial, although the splashing of the alchemical substance burns everyone around him, including Kerri, Delgar, Novia's wolf, and Haemus [1 fire damage].

Haemus does nothing, since his player never posted.

Meanwhile the alchemist's fire that Delgar applied burns out on the wererat's flesh [5 fire damage].

Spoiler:




Wolf: 8/13 hp
Novia: 15/16 hp
Delgar: 13/14 hp
Wererat (Wounded)
Kerri: 14/21 hp
Morningmist: 11/11 hp
Haemus: 17/18 hp

Destro Yersul

((I SEE NO ERRORS! especially not in the name of my own character  Shocked . I deny that I was very tired when I made that post, and I further deny that all my characters have names that start with 'D'))

Delgar takes a step back, going through the bag again. Maybe there was another one? Or something else? Maybe there was some alchemical silver in there....
El Jaspero

Huh.  Sorry 'bout that.

Since axe is ready and wererat is in range, Haemus will take a swing.
helgraf

Free action:  Morningmist mutters something in Giant under her breath after her volley goes wide, "Soon as I get th' little bastard, th' rest o' you gut 'im good," she says.

5-foot step to L9.  

Standard Action: Then will initiate a grapple against the wererat.  No flank, sadly, so standard bonuses apply:
Initiate Grapple: +3 melee touch; +11 opposed grapple
Deadly

Kerri will take a firm grip on her sword and attack the rat again.

If the bonus for doing so will carry on to next round and apply when the rat might try to hit her again (stupid initiative), Kerri will fight defensively, having this feeling that she could use a little extra AC. If the bonus would not apply against the rat's next attack, she won't bother. ((The way I interpret those rules the bonus won't apply, but I'll let you decide because I'm not sure))
helgraf

Deadly wrote:
Kerri will take a firm grip on her sword and attack the rat again.

If the bonus for doing so will carry on to next round and apply when the rat might try to hit her again (stupid initiative), Kerri will fight defensively, having this feeling that she could use a little extra AC. If the bonus would not apply against the rat's next attack, she won't bother. ((The way I interpret those rules the bonus won't apply, but I'll let you decide because I'm not sure))


((Fighting defensively lasts until the start of your next action, so yes, the bonus would apply))
The Chilli God

[OOC]Again, sincere apoligies. I'll try and move this thing along a tad faster in future.[/OOC]

Round 3

Novia's wolf attacks the wererat [To hit 8], but meets with little success.

Novia does nothing since her player never posted.

Delgar steps back and manages to find another alchemist's fire inside the sack. It doesn't look like there are very many of those left, though.

The wererat turns and tries to scrabble up the statue just behind it, deftly twisting to avoid any attacks made, but it fails to get a grip on the stone holdings.
Turning around in frustration, he takes it out again on Kerri, but the attack was wildly made and misses entirely.

Kerri responds with her own slice, moving to get flanking with Haemus and fighting defensively to hopefully avoid further injuries [To hit 12], but the wererat is able to parry the assault.

Morningmist moves into the fray and tries to grapple the wererat [Touch to hit 6], but she can't get a decent hold on the critter.

Haemus slashes out at the wererat with his battleaxe [To hit 18], but is also unsuccessful in his attempt to hit.

Spoiler:



Wolf: 8/13 hp
Novia: 15/16 hp
Delgar: 13/14 hp
Wererat (Wounded)
Kerri: 14/21 hp
Morningmist: 11/11 hp
Haemus: 17/18 hp

helgraf

Oooh, I get flank bonus.  Neat.

If wererat still within 5 feet and Morningmist is flanking:
Standard Action: Initiate Grapple

If wererat still within 5 feet and Morningmist is not flanking:
If possible, 5-foot step into a flanking position
Standard Action: Initiate Grapple

If wererat within 10 feet of Morningmist, spend 1 PP from Cognizance Crystal to activate Reach Gauntlets.  Initiate Grapple.  5 foot step to become adjacent.

If wererat otherwise out of reach, move action to get into grapple range, standard action to initiate grapple.
Deadly

Kerri takes a 5-foot step to m11, then digs into her bag to find that vial of acid she'd forgotten about again and again. She then aims the small glass of acid at the rat before throwing it, hoping it will have more effect than her recent attempt to hit the thing
Artemis

((Whoops. Sorry, Chilli, meant to post something today, actually.))

Novia steps up to trade places with her wolf in order to be able to hit the Wererat.

       Enupnion Forum Index -> The Games Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum