Archive for Enupnion Keep on Dreaming
 


       Enupnion Forum Index -> Chit-Chat
Lykan

Apathy

Err... I wasn't quite sure where to put this... I'm not sure if it's really new-topic-worthy, but it wasn't really a rant and it wasn't really something befitting the depression thread.

I have a serious issue with dedication to a single project. I love to homebrew, draw avatars, write, plan out adventures and create dungeons in D&D, design video games, and think out long in-depth plots for the Town, but I can never actually ever finish them. somewhere in between 4 hours to a week into the project, I just drop it and move onto something different, because the old thing doesn't interest me anymore.

That's kinda strange, in that I usually pick up the same project a month or two later, and the process repeats itself. It's incredibly frustrating, and seems to create a sort of apathy in that I don't see the point of doing anything because I already know I won't finish.

Please... for the love of god, someone offer some sort of help or advise. This is the sorta thing that makes me bore holes in my own flesh. >_<
DivineAmour

I do the exact same thing. I usually chalk it up to being bored, but it's more than that. it's like you're all psyched up about doing something...and then you start it. And all the fun and stuff just disappears right out of it.

Can't help you, sorry, but just letting you know I've got the same problem.
Moxie

Usually happens to me as well, and usually as a boost to my direction, I rely on  my friends. The more friends that work with me on a project, the harder I work.
Uberblah

I don't know if this is true, but I believe it's a mental thing. And I believe it happens to everyone in some degree, at least once.

Raist kinda hit the nail on the head according to what I think about this. I think that you psyche yourself up to do something. Get really creative, make it sound cool and all that. Then comes the time where you actually get around to making it happen, writing down, building it, whatever, and you realize that you planned to much beforehand and left little to keep you interested while you're actually doing the project. Basically, what I'm trying to say is, you're overthinking it at the beginning. You're getting all your best ideas out early, leaving nothing to keep you interested, come the time you starting working on the project.

I hope that helps.
Lykan

Uberblah wrote:
I don't know if this is true, but I believe it's a mental thing. And I believe it happens to everyone in some degree, at least once.

Raist kinda hit the nail on the head according to what I think about this. I think that you psyche yourself up to do something. Get really creative, make it sound cool and all that. Then comes the time where you actually get around to making it happen, writing down, building it, whatever, and you realize that you planned to much beforehand and left little to keep you interested while you're actually doing the project. Basically, what I'm trying to say is, you're overthinking it at the beginning. You're getting all your best ideas out early, leaving nothing to keep you interested, come the time you starting working on the project.

I hope that helps.


Okay... But how do you think one should keep that from happening?
Keledrath

I think I saw it in Vael's sig once on GitP:  A character is never as awesome in practice as in theory.  Same rulle applies to everything.
Uberblah

Lykan wrote:


Okay... But how do you think one should keep that from happening?


Hmm... I don't know exactly. Maybe stop yourself from getting too far? Save some things to create while you're writing, to keep you interested, to keep you thinking. I'm not sure. You seem to me to be intelligent and your brain needs to keep active. And while you're planning, it goes on full scale producing plenty of great ideas. But come time to write, writing turns into a simple task of copying your ideas over and adding a tiny bit to connect them all. So I think you should try and stop yourself in the planning stage. Maybe write down the big idea of your thoughts, and come time to write, you can expand from there. But I don't know if you can do that. I know that sometimes you just have too many good ideas and you don't want to forget them. So I don't know. I've always been good at diagnosing, never at finding a solution. Sorry.
NecroPaladin

I stick on single projects if I enjoy them but if I don't I find it absolutely impossible to continue.  That's why I really hope that I get an occupation that I can enjoy.
Katonta

I have just that link that'll help here: Motivation for Smart People

Hope that helps out, I know it's helped me a ton, along with the other articles on the site.
Lykan

Katonta wrote:
I have just that link that'll help here: Motivation for Smart People

Hope that helps out, I know it's helped me a ton, along with the other articles on the site.


It's an interesting article... But it doesn't really help me all that much, considering that I think that I subconsciously shut down everything I do as unimportant on an intellectual level.

Then again, that does seem to bring me to the crux of a problem... Which may be rooted in some sort of inferiority complex.

... Crap, I'll need a therapist again, won't I? >_<
Keledrath

Well, it may help.  If not...
*Holds up one of Uber's cool white jackets that make you hug yourself*
You could try this on.

       Enupnion Forum Index -> Chit-Chat
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum