Enupnion Forum Index Enupnion
Keep on Dreaming
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Join! (free) Join! (free)
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Savage Tide
Page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Enupnion Forum Index -> The Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Lykan
Monster Mixer


Joined: 02 Jun 2007
Posts: 12584


Location: In my head. I think.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Savage Tide  Reply with quote

Chapter One: There Is No Honor

Part One: A Noble in Need

Mirage, Burl, and Alton each receive letters at their places of residence, delivered by rather wizened looking halfling who introduces herself as Kora Whistlegap. The letter reads as follows:



She departs shortly after they give their answers (assuming they all say theyíre intrested), thus is unable to answer any questions that they may have about the opportunity in question.

***

Ghost the Gnome, long before this, has been tossed into a prison cell, and locked up. The prison guard growls

Crazy assed shortfolk...

She is imprisoned for almost two weeks before the captain of the guard approaches her cell, and opens it, slapping a pair of shackles on her wrists before she can properly react

Youíre being paroled... Consider yourself lucky that itís this early. Murder isnít an easy offense to shake.

He looks down at her

One of this city's noble people has requested your unique... Skills... To help her with some problems.

He waves a hand around, speaking some words of an unknown language, and a strange rune glows brightly on her forehead for a moment before disappearing

That there is called a Mark of Justice. If you do anything outside of Lady Vanderborenís orders, or if you hurt any other people of this city, it will trigger, and you wonít even remember how to fight properly, understand?

No matter her answer, the guard leads her out of the prison, still shackled, and to the Vanderboren Manor...


Last edited by Lykan on Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Amiria



Joined: 09 Aug 2007
Posts: 182


Location: The Silverthorn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mirage Do'Lassar

Mirage ponders about the meaning of the message. "Could it be ... ? Yes, this could finally be it. Mom has really talked somebody's ear off and now they want me to do ... something ? I really hope that's the reason. Maybe I'll finally leave the city, that would be great. Oh, hmm, what should I put on tomorrow evening then ?"

The next evening, Mirage arrives at the Vanderboren Manor and knocks on the door. Her hair is bound in two long braids and she wears her red and blue entertainer's outfit. A dagger in a scabbard at her side and she has brought her lyre with her.

The other guests might know that she is one of the two female drow that live in the house of the Fallafabri family (minor nobles). From her looks and attire she must be the younger one of the two, the daughter of the other one.
_________________

Still semi-active in the Towns. Send me a PM at GitP if you post at either Silverthorn.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Wukei
Master of Emo Chinchillas


Joined: 04 Jun 2007
Posts: 36024



PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost

Ghost stares at the man. His speech moved too quickly. She understood murder. He must be speaking of the act that she performed on those poachers. She understood the word 'skills' too...but she wasn't sure how they applied. Then he spoke strangely. He might have been talking about his own, then. He asked if she understood. Well there was a question she heard a lot, though never directed at her before. She follows after him as quickly as she can, no more than the height of one of these big people's small children.
_________________

You must love the cuteness that is Sin!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Artemis
Drow Queen


Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 20905


Location: Florida, USA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alton Nightshade

Alton reads over the note, then grins up at the Halfling woman. "Please inform Lady Vanderboren that I would be happy to join her for dinner. "

The next night he arrives on Festival Street and walks towards the Vanderboren Estate. The dark-haired halfling is wearing a nice outfit in shades of black and deep blue, including a white shirt, blue vest and sash, and a black overcoat. Nothing too fancy as to make him stick out, but still appropriate for dinner in the Lady's home. Hiden in the sash is his dagger and sling, the bullets of which are in his coin purse, making it seem much fuller than it actually is. Concealed up his left sleeve are his thieve's tools, you never knew when they could come in handy, especially when dealing with a woman he'd never met.

Despite all these precautions, Alton is smiling and looking forward to a good meal and perhaps a business agreement.
_________________
A single dagger in the night is worth a thousand swords at dawn.

Grab some tugboats. We're going iceberg wrangling. - Destro Yersul

Characters!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Vael
Endless Fount of Characters


Joined: 02 Jun 2007
Posts: 38730



PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burl reads over the note swiftly, having no problems reading it like his less... educated brethen would have.
I'll be there. Go along now.
He waves a hand at Kora, dismissing her without another thought.

When Burl arrives the next evening, it becomes clear that he really didn't change much in his appearance, though he is thankfully devoid of the fish reek that normally emanates from the docks. His clothes are tidy enough, but are normal workman's clothes and hardly anything to look at. He could make his way in as a servant unquestioned.
However, at the front door he probably stands out, especially with the two short swords hanging at his sides. Furthermore, he has a dagger well hidden on his person.
His blue black hair is not neatly arranged, though his eyes glare at anyone who would dare comment on his appearance.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lykan
Monster Mixer


Joined: 02 Jun 2007
Posts: 12584


Location: In my head. I think.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanderboren Manor is located in the eastern section of the merchantís district, the seven foot high stone walls that surrounds the estate is hard to miss, as is the towering, gothic, three story that dominates the grounds within. Leering gargoyles and capering nymphs festoon the eves of the manorís roof, and several trees give the manor a nice buffer from the bustles of the city

The front gate has been left open, but no one greets them until they knock on the front door. Once they do, they are greeted by Kora once again, and let into an atrium where a wild looking gnome, a man wearing a polished breastplate and carrying a bastard sword, a half-elf wearing a dozen or so blades, a dwarf wearing brown robes and a sour expression, and a haughty looking woman wearing purple robes. The last four begin to depart from the building, and the armored man looks over at the assembled group, seemingly mentally judging them, before speaking

Hmm... You must be the help Laviniaís bringing in to do the chores. Best of luck to yah!


He then leaves, catching up with his comrades.

Ryvin Blackwind

Soon after they leave, a flustered looking human enters, leaning against a wall to catch his breath

Phew... Not late...

His dark brown hair is short and astray, and his mismatched eyes of gold and gray show a certain excitement to the situation at hand, if not also a certain wariness he had attained staying up most nights in libraries, trying to learn as much about the world outside the city as he possibly can. He wears a sleaved cloak, a chain shirt made of some dull, greenish metal, a pair of cotton slacks, and a pair of worn leather boots. A hammer, made from the same green metal as his armor hangs from his belt, and a wooden symbol of a dragon coiled around the sun hangs from a thin leather strap wrapped around his wrist. He looks around, smiling slightly at the others
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Artemis
Drow Queen


Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 20905


Location: Florida, USA

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alton Nightshade

The halfling chuckles. "Chores?! Hardly something as menial as that. I've been invited to dinner." He smiles at the others, letting them know he's joking. Certainly the armored man hadn't been refering to actual chores. "And what about the rest of you? Are you here for the same reasons I am?"
_________________
A single dagger in the night is worth a thousand swords at dawn.

Grab some tugboats. We're going iceberg wrangling. - Destro Yersul

Characters!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Amiria



Joined: 09 Aug 2007
Posts: 182


Location: The Silverthorn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mirage Do'Lassar

"I was also invited to dinner by Lady Lavinia Vanderboren.", says the dark elven maiden and flashes a smile. "If I am here for the same reasons as you I cannot say. But I won't be doing 'chores', I hope for some more important task."
_________________

Still semi-active in the Towns. Send me a PM at GitP if you post at either Silverthorn.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Vael
Endless Fount of Characters


Joined: 02 Jun 2007
Posts: 38730



PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burl crosses his arms.
I believe I'm here for the same.
He looks over the others in a rather rude but very thorough fashion, wondering just who he would be working with.
Great. A midget, a foppish drow, and a holy man.
He briefly contemplates the upside of killing them all, dumping them in the alley, and claiming he was the only one who showed up. Not that he would ever do something like that, it was quite ridiculous, and the guard would surely catch him and jail him for something that stupid and obvious... bah. He wasn't going to hold out his head for the noose.
Still, getting rid of these morons seemed a pleasant idea.
His displeasure is somewhat obvious as he looks among them.
Then again... sometimes people were more useful than they seem. Might as well give them a little benefit of the doubt....
So who am I working with? What are your capabilities?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wukei
Master of Emo Chinchillas


Joined: 04 Jun 2007
Posts: 36024



PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost

The gnome considers the newcomers, quietly. It seemed that they all liked to hear themselves speak...a lot. And they spoke too quickly, damn them. Well, just pretend that their words didn't matter. None of them seemed in charge here. She turns her attention away from them.
_________________

You must love the cuteness that is Sin!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Lykan
Monster Mixer


Joined: 02 Jun 2007
Posts: 12584


Location: In my head. I think.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

((Eh, so much for an introduction to the other party members... Sorry this took so long))

Ryvin nods

I got the memo about a Vanderboren job as well...


He looks to Burl

Iím a healer, I guess... Itís thíonly really potent ability I have unless weíre in a room full of zombies...


Then, a door opens at the end of the hall, and Kora calls out to the adventurers

If you would all come, the lady is ready to speak to you.

She leads the group into a comfortable and cozy dining hall, lit by wall mounted lanterns. A window overlooks the manorís central courtyard, and the carpet is thick and soft. A large portrait hangs on the wall, a fine work depicting a handsome young man with a short beard. Standing before the portrait is an attractive human woman wearing a long, flowing blue dress. She smiles

Good evening... My name is Lavinia Vanderboren.

As you may have heard, I recently inherited my parentís estate. Along with this fine house, unfortunately, came a fine amount of debt owed the Dawn Council, the harbor-master, and quite a few guildhalls. It seems my parents, for all their success as adventurers, were not as skilled in finance as one might expect. If Iím going to get these taxes paid, Iíll need to access my familyís vault under Castle Teraknian.

And thatís the problem, you see. The vaults are magically lockedĖkeyed to specific signet rings. Both of my parents had these rings, at least, until recently. My mother lost hers a few months ago. She arranged for a replacement, but it wonít be done for another month or so, too late for me. Which leaves my fatherís ring. He never wore itĖhe had a thing about men wearing jewelry. He kept it hidden somewhere on his ship, the Blue Nixie. The problem there us the harbor-masterís seized the ship until someone pays for the last four months of mooring. Iíve paid the fines to the man who the harbor-master has put in charge of my ship, a brute named Soller Vark. Yet when I went to claim my ship, Varkís men wouldnít let me board, claiming that I hadnít yet paid the fines. I spoke to Vark again and he denied ever receiving my payment. My complaints to the harbor-master have fallen on deaf earsĖheís a doddering old fool who trusts his man and wonít relent.

Vark and his men are up to something on my ship, I know it. What I need is to find out what exactly theyíre up to. Unfortunately, Varkís not the type to react well to diplomacy or logic. I need someone who speaks his language... Which is where you come in. If you can find out what heís using my ship for, or even better, recover the money I paid him, Iíll pay you each 200 gold in return once Iíve access to my vault.

Any questions?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Vael
Endless Fount of Characters


Joined: 02 Jun 2007
Posts: 38730



PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burl frowns and thinks about it.
Yeah, will you be upset if we kill anyone?
Subtlety was never his thing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wukei
Master of Emo Chinchillas


Joined: 04 Jun 2007
Posts: 36024



PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost

Ghost nods. Humans mad if kill humans. Even if they ones doing wrong. She at least understood him, anyway...
_________________

You must love the cuteness that is Sin!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Amiria



Joined: 09 Aug 2007
Posts: 182


Location: The Silverthorn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mirage

"Yes, we'll most likely have to do illegal things to get this job done. How much money did you give this Vark ?", asks Mirage.
_________________

Still semi-active in the Towns. Send me a PM at GitP if you post at either Silverthorn.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Lykan
Monster Mixer


Joined: 02 Jun 2007
Posts: 12584


Location: In my head. I think.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lavinia's jaw sets when she hears Burl's question

I'd prefer you not throw the first punch, if you can avoid it... But in the end, why would they put up a fight at all unless they were up to no good?

She then looks to Mirage

I gave him 100 platinum coins for payment...

Ryvin, meanwhile, is looking about the room

... You said you just inherited your parent's estate... What happened to them?

Lavnia seems taken aback, though after a moment, she speaks again in a quiet voice

They burned to death in a ship fire about a month ago... They were taking the recently purchased ship for a cruise when something caused the ship to catch fire and burn to the waterline.

She sighs, looking a little distraught

There werenít any survivors.

After a few moments, she looks to the adventurers again

Any more questions?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Vael
Endless Fount of Characters


Joined: 02 Jun 2007
Posts: 38730



PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burl makes notes of it all in his head.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Artemis
Drow Queen


Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 20905


Location: Florida, USA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alton

Alton listens to everything quietly and shakes his head when asked if he had any questions. The job seemed pretty clear to him: find out what happened to the lady's payment and get a hold of the signet ring.
_________________
A single dagger in the night is worth a thousand swords at dawn.

Grab some tugboats. We're going iceberg wrangling. - Destro Yersul

Characters!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Wukei
Master of Emo Chinchillas


Joined: 04 Jun 2007
Posts: 36024



PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost

Ghost considers the rest of the group instead of the Lady. She decides to speak to Alton. Something told her that he may be able to answer any questions she had a bit more slowly.
_________________

You must love the cuteness that is Sin!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Amiria



Joined: 09 Aug 2007
Posts: 182


Location: The Silverthorn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mirage

The drow shakes her head slightly in response to the Lady's question.
_________________

Still semi-active in the Towns. Send me a PM at GitP if you post at either Silverthorn.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Lykan
Monster Mixer


Joined: 02 Jun 2007
Posts: 12584


Location: In my head. I think.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryvin shakes his head as well

Lavinia nods slightly

Well, once you finish our meals, I beg you to please begin on this mission... The sooner I can find out what they're doing with that ship, the better.

Several servants bring out dishes consisting of finely cooked meats and vegetables, as well as a glass of strong drink and water for each member of the party.

Ryvin remains quiet as he eats, silently going over various things in his head. He spares a glance ever so often at the drow and orc, though doesn't say anything.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Wukei
Master of Emo Chinchillas


Joined: 04 Jun 2007
Posts: 36024



PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost

Ghost tears into her food animalistically. Despite this, she isn't just eating meat, apparently she understands the natural balance needed of vegetables along with the meat. She sniffs the alcoholic drink and makes a face before drinking her water.
_________________

You must love the cuteness that is Sin!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Vael
Endless Fount of Characters


Joined: 02 Jun 2007
Posts: 38730



PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burl eats with enough decorum to be passable, but doesn't make much effort to follow table etiquette. He's too busy thinking over the situation and how he'd like to start.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Amiria



Joined: 09 Aug 2007
Posts: 182


Location: The Silverthorn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mirage

Mirage displays the table etiquette of the upper class during the meal. She eats and drinks a moderate amount of everything offered, including the strong drink.
_________________

Still semi-active in the Towns. Send me a PM at GitP if you post at either Silverthorn.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Lykan
Monster Mixer


Joined: 02 Jun 2007
Posts: 12584


Location: In my head. I think.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryvin looks down, closing his eyes

... Right... So I'm doing a mercenary job with the daughter of Ilyasimee the bard, the Poacher-Killer, esteemed water orc mercenary Bulk, and local thief Alton Nighshade...


He opens his eyes, grinning

Wicked.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Vael
Endless Fount of Characters


Joined: 02 Jun 2007
Posts: 38730



PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burl coughs.
Burl.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Enupnion Forum Index -> The Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Card File  Gallery  Forum Archive
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum